NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Hydrocephalus (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/)
-   -   New to group and pregnant with vp shunt (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/173344-pregnant-vp-shunt.html)

Diana67 07-16-2012 07:12 PM

New to group and pregnant with vp shunt

Hello my name is Diana. I decided I should join this group as I found out my shunt is causing more problems than I thought it would as my baby is growing. I am 6 months pregnant and the shunt has essentially outlined the bottom of my uterus and is poking me in the bladder. It hurts badly and I am hoping I am not alone and someone can give me guidance. I had my shunt placed 10 years ago after my last child was born, via c-section. This was a whoops pregnancy, and it has gone well up until now. The shunt is causing stabbing pelvic pain and I am pretty scared. More of a shocker, I am 44. The baby is a girl and appears to be healthy. I went through a lot of genetic testing. Now that I know she is okay, I am starting to really worry about me. Please let me know if any of you have been pregnant and what I can expect. Thanks, Diana

annakkro 07-22-2012 09:44 PM

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Unfortunately I don't have any experience or promising words. I too have a shunt and would like to get pregnant in the near future (age 27 now), but everything i've been reading as sounded so complicated. Who knows these complications could be the exception to the rule of a smooth pregnancy. Please please keep us in informed on how the labor progress so women like me can learn. Stay strong and trust yourself and your body. Hope to here from you soon.

lcms0516 07-25-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diana67 (Post 898078)
Hello my name is Diana. I decided I should join this group as I found out my shunt is causing more problems than I thought it would as my baby is growing. I am 6 months pregnant and the shunt has essentially outlined the bottom of my uterus and is poking me in the bladder. It hurts badly and I am hoping I am not alone and someone can give me guidance. I had my shunt placed 10 years ago after my last child was born, via c-section. This was a whoops pregnancy, and it has gone well up until now. The shunt is causing stabbing pelvic pain and I am pretty scared. More of a shocker, I am 44. The baby is a girl and appears to be healthy. I went through a lot of genetic testing. Now that I know she is okay, I am starting to really worry about me. Please let me know if any of you have been pregnant and what I can expect. Thanks, Diana

Since I am a male, I can't get pregnant. But I do know of at least one woman who, apart from age, had semi-similar concerns to yours.

If you would like me to contact her, I would be happy to do that.

WillaCampbell 11-21-2012 07:38 AM

Any developments?

When I went in for my c-section in 2010 they found my shunt tubing free floating next to my uterus. It was weird but ended up causing no complications that I know of... at least with my pregnancy. How did it turn out for you?