NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   PCS and relapse/setbacks (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/173431-pcs-relapse-setbacks.html)

srgallan 07-18-2012 07:51 AM

PCS and relapse/setbacks

Hi,

Forgive me if this has been asked before.

What is a PCS setback/relapse? Simply your brain saying slow down? Getting your "inputs" overwhelmed and having a temporary shutdown for repairs? Causing actual damage?

To be honest, I don't know anything about it just that it seems most everyone here including myself have had one if not many more setbacks.

Quick summary for me; I guess I am actually in 8 months of PCS contrary to my statement yesterday in some posts of 7 months. I had just started work again in June in an "ease-back" program. It was actually going quite well, my life was almost normal with little to no symptoms with the exception of neck issues which I am getting massage and chiro. I had just started 8 hour shifts of late and although felt tired or felt mild issues in the afternoon it was mostly ok.

I will admit a lack of consistent sleep due to our second child being born and like all babies take a toll on a parents sleep. She is pretty awesome and a very content baby I have to admit and my wife and I are very lucky to have her and her older brother.

Last week now, I suddenly got sore leg muscles, became very weak and shaky and suddenly my vertigo/motion sickness returned with some mild sound sensitivities and focus/concentration difficulties. Throughout my recovery I was actually always quite functional albeit very uncomfortable through symptoms that affected me more physically. My GP thinks it was a viral infection which most of the symptoms have gone away but the motion sickness and focus/sound sensitivities persist. I had no re-injury that I am aware of except the possibility of a virus and some sneezing due to allergies.

So what is a setback? As a sufferer of PCS are you in a weakened state and many possibilities can overwhelm your weakened state? Is this a constant to be expected? Do you cause more damage? Am I to cease many activities and wait to recover before resuming work and other? Is the brain forever sensitive or perhaps more selective in chance of whom completely recovers and who takes longer?

This was my first known concussion, I did play some spots when younger that sometimes led to be banged around ie: Judo and etc...cumulative injury perhaps?

Mist8012 07-18-2012 09:31 AM

I don't really know what to suggest but I bet our bodies need healing time and we're sensitive to virus'

Our brains are trying to heal which requires time and rest and when a virus attacks it can be overwhelming.

Take it easy and keep us posted

rmschaver 07-18-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srgallan (Post 898545)
Hi,

What is a PCS setback/relapse? Simply your brain saying slow down? Getting your "inputs" overwhelmed and having a temporary shutdown for repairs? Causing actual damage?

To be honest, I don't know anything about it just that it seems most everyone here including myself have had one if not many more setbacks.

Quick summary for me; I guess I am actually in 8 months of PCS contrary to my statement yesterday in some posts of 7 months. I had just started work again in June in an "ease-back" program. It was actually going quite well, my life was almost normal with little to no symptoms with the exception of neck issues which I am getting massage and chiro. I had just started 8 hour shifts of late and although felt tired or felt mild issues in the afternoon it was mostly ok.

I will admit a lack of consistent sleep due to our second child being born and like all babies take a toll on a parents sleep. She is pretty awesome and a very content baby I have to admit and my wife and I are very lucky to have her and her older brother.

Last week now, I suddenly got sore leg muscles, became very weak and shaky and suddenly my vertigo/motion sickness returned with some mild sound sensitivities and focus/concentration difficulties. Throughout my recovery I was actually always quite functional albeit very uncomfortable through symptoms that affected me more physically. My GP thinks it was a viral infection which most of the symptoms have gone away but the motion sickness and focus/sound sensitivities persist. I had no re-injury that I am aware of except the possibility of a virus and some sneezing due to allergies.

So what is a setback? As a sufferer of PCS are you in a weakened state and many possibilities can overwhelm your weakened state? Is this a constant to be expected? Do you cause more damage? Am I to cease many activities and wait to recover before resuming work and other? Is the brain forever sensitive or perhaps more selective in chance of whom completely recovers and who takes longer?

This was my first known concussion, I did play some spots when younger that sometimes led to be banged around ie: Judo and etc...cumulative injury perhaps?

Relapse only means your symptoms have recurred, something you already knew. The brain will be more prone to injury again after a cuncussion. Over stimulation can also cause a relapse, as can stress. Personally I think once PCS/D always that way. Does not mean we won't be productive or happy. It just means that we must be aware and consider that in our daily regime and accomadate it.

Hope you feel better.

xanadu00 07-18-2012 06:24 PM

I'm guessing that different people have different connotations of 'relapse'. I've relapsed at least twice, and in both cases, there was absolutely no questioning whether I had a relapse; all of my symptoms became much worse very quickly and it took me months to get back to where I was prior to the relapse.

Aside from these relapses, I have what I call "setbacks," which typically last for a few days, and sometimes for a week or more. And then there are just "bad head days," as I call them. Usually setbacks and bad head days are caused by trying to do too much for too many days in a row, without taking enough breaks. They can also result from a night or two of inadequate sleep, and also from overstimulation. It takes very little to upset the balance. If you really overdo it for too long, you can end up with a relapse rather than a setback or bad day.

It's very important to remember to still take breaks even on the days when you're feeling better, so that you don't end up with a bad setback. In fact, even if you get to the point where you feel recovered, you should plan on always taking it easier than you have in the past. It will take much less to injure yourself again, and it doesn't take another blow to the head. Too much physical activity, stress, overstimulation, poor diet, and/or inadequate sleep can all build up and cause your symptoms to come back, even if they've been gone for awhile.

We all have to get used to being more careful and taking very care of ourselves from now on.

srgallan 07-29-2012 04:19 PM

Thanks to all that replied.

I was doing so well and had returned to work on reduced hours that I felt it all crashing when the symptoms came back and was put off again. I still have no idea what the trigger was, perhaps I was not careful enough and got carried away that I was feeling pretty well.

It started getting better around the 8 day mark and significant improvement by the 13th day. I still have a few symptoms lingering around at different severity levels.

Going to visit my GP and behavioral optometrist tomorrow for a re-assessment.

So back to the drawing board I guess, wait for a bit and try again.

Mark in Idaho 07-29-2012 05:15 PM

This forum software is so frustrating. I was just finishing a long post with tips for returning to work. I hit the wrong key and it all disappeared. It is like somebody pulled the rug out from under my brain.

Maybe I can try again later. I have no memory of what I wrote because my brain is so useless.

Jeffrey 07-29-2012 07:21 PM

I went to my 20 yr. high school reunion last night.

And broke the rule of safety I know from here of only one drink, having to glasses of wine, and a shot of tequilla, each taken in very slowly. Was not drunk. And there was very loud music. Stayed from 6:30-9:45.

I've tried to be extremely responsible & careful, not taking any risks.
I have a headache today (no surprise). My first time having more than one drink in a night since the TBI over two years ago.

Slept 4.5 hours last night. Hopefully better tomorrow, or soon.

Never again will I repeat the mistake. I'm sorry.

srgallan 07-30-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 901579)
This forum software is so frustrating. I was just finishing a long post with tips for returning to work. I hit the wrong key and it all disappeared. It is like somebody pulled the rug out from under my brain.

Maybe I can try again later. I have no memory of what I wrote because my brain is so useless.

Thanks Mark, the effort and intent is still much appreciated. If you do have any tips you can share they would be appreciated.

I have been dealing with my work and rehab person for accomodations for my next attempt and I guess it's a bit trial an error. Going to try in a private office and not so much in the cubicle jungle this time, use a break reminder utility I actually found in a past post on this forum, LCD screen filters.

I am optimistic again for success whenever my next ease back attempt will be.

srgallan 07-30-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 901611)
I went to my 20 yr. high school reunion last night.

And broke the rule of safety I know from here of only one drink, having to glasses of wine, and a shot of tequilla, each taken in very slowly. Was not drunk. And there was very loud music. Stayed from 6:30-9:45.

I've tried to be extremely responsible & careful, not taking any risks.
I have a headache today (no surprise). My first time having more than one drink in a night since the TBI over two years ago.

Slept 4.5 hours last night. Hopefully better tomorrow, or soon.

Never again will I repeat the mistake. I'm sorry.

I hope your feeling better today, I tried half a glass of whine over the xmas holidays and regretted it. Although, I admit to recently enjoying some non alcoholic beers on a hot summer day.

redwing88 07-31-2012 09:08 AM

Pacing is really important to do. That means finding what charges your batteries and what depletes them. Think of yourself as an old talkphone battery that can hold a charge for a shorter time. It works well when its charged but then doesnt work right.

Also, expect that once you get to where you can have a week or two of good days, to plan a "day off" to just recharge. Even if you don't thing you fneed it, it will help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srgallan (Post 898545)
Hi,