NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Dr. Donahue at MGH (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/173595-dr-donahue-mgh.html)

starlight17 07-21-2012 03:59 PM

Dr. Donahue at MGH

Does anyone have experience with Dr. Donahue and VTOS surgery? (first rib resection, scalenectomy, possible angioplasty for compression and scarring of subclavian vein)

nospam 07-23-2012 01:46 AM

There are several members who are patients of Dr. Donahue. Simply search this forum for "Donahue". There is also a video of a TOS presentation Donahue gave that should come up in the search results.

FJD3 08-06-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nospam (Post 899818)
There are several members who are patients of Dr. Donahue. Simply search this forum for "Donahue". There is also a video of a TOS presentation Donahue gave that should come up in the search results.

I had TOS at MGH with Dr. Donahue in late June.
Nice guy.

In my talks with him - about symptoms, diagnosis - I never heard of VTOS. Yet it seems to be a very common term on this board. I assume it is "vein" related syndrome. Correct?

starlight17 08-08-2012 02:55 PM

Thanks! I really liked him, and my surgery is August 21.

Yes, the V stands for Vascular TOS. I actually have both- neurogenic (although this has finally been improving, so it's hard to accept I'll beed the surgery), and vascular (a venogram showed narrowing of my vein, near occlusion of it when the arm is lifted, and scarring inside the vein.) Basically, the vein is getting compressed between my clavicle and first rib which puts me at a risk for blood clots...

Iris 08-09-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starlight17 (Post 904286)

Yes, the V stands for Vascular TOS. I actually have both- neurogenic (although this has finally been improving, so it's hard to accept I'll beed the surgery), and vascular (a venogram showed narrowing of my vein, near occlusion of it when the arm is lifted, and scarring inside the vein.) Basically, the vein is getting compressed between my clavicle and first rib which puts me at a risk for blood clots...

I saw him for a consult and if I do need surgery he will be the one to do it. I do not live in Massachusetts, but I think he is one of the top people. Please keep us posted.

fclegg 08-12-2012 01:14 PM

Dr Donahue and Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery rib resection

Quote:

Originally Posted by starlight17 (Post 899480)
Does anyone have experience with Dr. Donahue and VTOS surgery? (first rib resection, scalenectomy, possible angioplasty for compression and scarring of subclavian vein)

I had left rib resection and anterior scalenectomy for neurogenics TOS (with mild artery compression) on June 7. As I had lots of scarring, similar to a volleyball player, Dr Donahue spent most of his time removing the nerve scar tissue. Very slow recovery. Arm pit pain and skin sensitivity was very bad, much improved now. He can prescribe nerve pain med for that (Gabapentin). Excellent surgeon. He personally showed me my post-op exercises, not a PT or OT. Will have right side done within a half year (neurogenic with medium nerve compression. Special note, my sister had same surgery 2 yrs ago for venous TOS, so TOS can run in families.

nukenurse 08-13-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fclegg (Post 905180)
I had left rib resection and anterior scalenectomy for neurogenics TOS (with mild artery compression) on June 7. As I had lots of scarring, similar to a volleyball player,

Do volleyball players with TOS have a lot of scarring? Did Dr. Donahue tell you that? Just curious.
Thanks

Iris 09-15-2012 06:07 PM

did he explain what would happen if you did not have the surgery?

did dr d explain what would happen if you did not have the surgery? How are you doing now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fclegg (Post 905180)
I had left rib resection and anterior scalenectomy for neurogenics TOS (with mild artery compression) on June 7. As I had lots of scarring, similar to a volleyball player, Dr Donahue spent most of his time removing the nerve scar tissue. Very slow recovery. Arm pit pain and skin sensitivity was very bad, much improved now. He can prescribe nerve pain med for that (Gabapentin). Excellent surgeon. He personally showed me my post-op exercises, not a PT or OT. Will have right side done within a half year (neurogenic with medium nerve compression. Special note, my sister had same surgery 2 yrs ago for venous TOS, so TOS can run in families.

*Miss Jill* 09-15-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starlight17 (Post 904286)

Hi.... I was just currious how your surgery went and how you are feeling now? My Doctor is Donahue as well :)

starlight17 09-20-2012 08:34 PM

My surgery went very well. I felt a difference in my nerve symptoms when I woke up in recovery (he removed a ton of scar tissue), and my hand strength is so much better- huge difference already. Recovery is slow and tough, but Dr. Donahue was absolutely amazing, and I don't think I could have picked a better surgeon. He is a phenomenal surgeon, doctor, and person. Feel free to message me, and I'd be happy to talk to you about my experiences and answer any questions!