NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Arthritis (https://www.neurotalk.org/arthritis/)
-   -   I had a really bad week. (https://www.neurotalk.org/arthritis/173606-bad-week.html)

audy17 07-21-2012 11:27 PM

I had a really bad week.

:(Symptoms started at 25yrs old. Now 36 my right hand ,thumb and wrist have severe arthritis. I had the thumb surgery in dec of 2011 because I had lost almost all function and the pain was unbearable. Pt was going awesome, was really excited about outcome. We started strengthen exercises and I realized I was having increased pain and reduced motion in my wrist, which was different than usual. MRI of wrist 2wks later shows partial torn tendon and ligament. Then the surgeon says there are signs that my body didn't respond well to the thumb surgery. (he won't elaborate at all) Well he says let's put surgery off for as long as we can and I agree. Now two weeks later last Tues the July 17th I wake up and my entire wrist, hand fingers, thumb, of my left hand are completely numb feel dead, I don't even know how to describe it. So hours go by nothing changes, I get an appt with my hand surgeon. I go see him and he explains it's called brachial plexitis and there is really nothing we can do. So I am on a medrol dose pack and just hoping every day that the feeling comes bake so in my good hand. I am right hand, but I hand adjusted to using my left to do a lot. I am so upset and after everything I've been threw I've tried to keep my head up. But I feel like I am completely disabled and worthless at 36 years old. I have a cruddy husband who doesn't help out and two amazing kids to take care of and no friends no family anywhere within 1500 miles. It's just been one of those weeks. I just needed to get out all the anger, unfairness, madness, sadness. Thank you.

Leesa 07-22-2012 03:14 PM

Bless your heart. That must be awful! I assume you have Rheumatoid arthritis? You're too young for osteoarthritis! At least I would think so. LOL I'm full of the osteo kind and I sure know the pain from that kind, although I don't get as much burning, but I get some.

I'm so sorry you're hurting so badly. I wish your husband would be more sympathetic! :mad: Hasn't he ever had pain of any kind? Doesn't he know what it's like? I wish he could walk in YOUR shoes for awhile so he'd understand! You need some help!

Just know that you're in my prayers. I have severe spinal problems and I know the ongoing pain and it just wears you out something awful! Make sure you get the rest you need. Don't overdo things. I wish you the very best. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee :)

Dr. Smith 07-22-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audy17 (Post 899567)
Then the surgeon says there are signs that my body didn't respond well to the thumb surgery. (he won't elaborate at all)

Hi Audy, Welcome.

That kind of thing bugs me too. I'm guessing he let something slip and later regretted it, but I'd also (if it were me) press him to elaborate. I'd make it clear that you want/need to know what to expect and how to deal with whatever it is. If he still won't explain himself, I might consider asking my PCP, or if necessary, get the opinion of another surgeon.

Get copies of all your medical records, tests, reports, etc. There may be something in there that could provide a clue.

Like Lee, I'm riddled with osteo, but I'm also considerably older.

Doc

audy17 07-22-2012 05:06 PM

They seem sure its osteo

Sorry spelling is so bd i have two fingers to type with. both rhuemotologist and hand surgeon and pathology report from surgery confirm. I am just lucky my mom has almost the exact same arthritis symptoms in the same places but she is 67 and not needed surgery yet. The docs just say I am lucky.lol Right now i am just praying that i will regain use of my left hand sooner than later. Apparently the longer it stays this way the more chance there is for permanent damage. thank you both for your support and responses.

audy17 07-22-2012 06:27 PM

thank you so much.

eva5667faliure 08-15-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audy17 (Post 899567)
:(Symptoms started at 25yrs old. Now 36 my right hand ,thumb and wrist have severe arthritis. I had the thumb surgery in dec of 2011 because I had lost almost all function and the pain was unbearable. Pt was going awesome, was really excited about outcome. We started strengthen exercises and I realized I was having increased pain and reduced motion in my wrist, which was different than usual. MRI of wrist 2wks later shows partial torn tendon and ligament. Then the surgeon says there are signs that my body didn't respond well to the thumb surgery. (he won't elaborate at all) Well he says let's put surgery off for as long as we can and I agree. Now two weeks later last Tues the July 17th I wake up and my entire wrist, hand fingers, thumb, of my left hand are completely numb feel dead, I don't even know how to describe it. So hours go by nothing changes, I get an appt with my hand surgeon. I go see him and he explains it's called brachial plexitis and there is really nothing we can do. So I am on a medrol dose pack and just hoping every day that the feeling comes bake so in my good hand. I am right hand, but I hand adjusted to using my left to do a lot. I am so upset and after everything I've been threw I've tried to keep my head up. But I feel like I am completely disabled and worthless at 36 years old. I have a cruddy husband who doesn't help out and two amazing kids to take care of and no friends no family anywhere within 1500 miles. It's just been one of those weeks. I just needed to get out all the anger, unfairness, madness, sadness. Thank you.

dear friend

i so understand all of what you expressed
and some
my situation stems from
my spinal problems
it has now affected my hands
at first my last 3 three fingers
now all fingers
i drop everything
can't open anything
the fact that the doctor
did not elaborate