NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   Doctors appointment (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/173667-doctors-appointment.html)

pebblebeach2 07-23-2012 12:31 PM

Doctors appointment

I am in total shock on something. I have been in chronic pain for a long time and treating with one doctor. But I felt I needed to find somebody that dealt with pain management and would be more qualified then the doctor that I have been seeing.

So after some research and a recommendation from someone I found a doctor that came highly recommended and certainly seemed qualified. His education credentials looked great, has been in practice a long time and has been name one of the top doctors in his field.

So I called a few days ago to schedule an appointment. I was told that there was a long wait list to be seen.
The next available appointment was in TWO YEARS!!!!1 I thought you have to be kidding me. I have a medical issue NOW and if I went on the appointment list what would my condition be like in two years.

With such a wait list should this doctor, as qualified as he is, take on new patients? He appears to have more then he can handle as to patients. The doctor is 72 years old and I think will he be around in 2 more years. And what am I supposed to do in the meantime as far as treatment. What about progression of my problem? I know I will never be better so I need to control the problem NOW.

Does this make sense for the doctor to continue taking on new patients or should his policy be that he is not taking on any new patients at this time?

Am I wrong on the way I am looking at this?

Dr. Smith 07-23-2012 09:39 PM

If you really want this doctor, then I would take the appointment, ask to be put on a cancellation list, and call twice a month from here on.

In the meantime, I'd implement plan B, and formulate a plan C.

Doc

Spiney95 07-23-2012 11:26 PM

I was on the waiting list for the pain clinic at Vanderbilt University for 18 months. Good thing I found a great local doctor as I didn't realize at the time that Medicaid would be covering my pain mgt. and they don't pay for out of state care. I am a great believer in lots of back up plans. I usually need them. Stuff happens. Best wishes.

pebblebeach2 07-24-2012 08:32 AM

Waiting 2 years is outragous. While he may have the credentials, there are plenty of other qualified doctors that are just as good.

I would never go onto a waiting list like that. What do you do in the meantime? So saying go on the list if he is a good doctor is absurd. I would never do it and to me having this scheduling system set up tells me how the practice is run. He is obviously overwhelmed with patients and I question what type of care i would get by seeing him. If I needed him to talk to him would he be accessible or would I deal with an office staff not being able to reach him if need be. As to the appt. Thanks but no thanks I'll find someone else, there are plenty of good doctors.

Dr. Smith 07-24-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pebblebeach2 (Post 900177)
So saying go on the list if he is a good doctor is absurd.

That's not what I said at all. The rest is moot.

Doc

pebblebeach2 07-25-2012 07:31 AM

I know what you said!!!!
And I wont get into a battle of words with you about my opinion either!!!!

Emma 09-28-2012 09:48 PM

That's absolutely insane. If I were you I would stay in the list, however, keep looking for other references.

Maybe you won't find someone as demanded as that one, but hopefully just as good? But do not stay put, if one thing I've found out first hand from having aches and pain unattended, is that it does get worse with time :/

bunz50 09-29-2012 09:18 AM

Hello Pebblebeach2, I live in Ontario Canada and was on a waiting list for 14 months for our 1 and only pain management Dr, he was so dang good at what he does that Toronto Ont offered him a lot of money to go work there and money talked! We have no pain management in our area now and I guess the closest would be 1 1/2-2 hour drive away. In my opinion only, if this Dr is good and there is a shortage I would ask to be put on the list and I agree with Emma to continue looking at other options and Drs, I believe that there are a lot of shortages in specialized areas and that those Drs are hard to get to see without having to wait, its the price we pay to have the best. Wishing you all the best and hope you find a great Dr and find some relief soon.
Bunz

razzle51 09-30-2012 04:24 AM

My opinion is to get your Dr . to refer you to a Pain clinic and to make it stat.. If you are in that much pain ... I wouldnt wait 2 yrs .. your dr can get you in faster .... wonder what you did ??? as the post was in July ...