NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   CRPS - Intranasal KETAMINE -Benefits/Risks? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/173864-crps-intranasal-ketamine-benefits-risks.html)

CRPStweet 07-26-2012 11:24 PM

CRPS - Intranasal KETAMINE -Benefits/Risks?

Have other CRPS members had experience with intranasal ketamine?
I would like to know how well it worked and any information you have on the related risks. Thank you.

CRPStweet 07-29-2012 03:04 AM

CRPS - Intranasal KETAMINE -Benefits/Risks?

I am scheduled for starting this intranasal treatment next week. From what I have read I learned the following: ketamine is a major anti-inflammatory and analgesic. The nasal form is more effective for pain than the oral form. It has shown positive results in neuropathic & nociceptive pain.
Any further input?

nalakity 07-30-2012 11:52 AM

What?!?

Where have you guys gotten this before? Is it FDA approved? I would LOVE to try Intranasal Ketamine! Ketamine is something I have been seriously looking into. Anything to get out of this hell! Any information is appreciated.
Gentle hugs

CRPStweet 07-30-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nalakity (Post 901759)
Where have you guys gotten this before? Is it FDA approved? I would LOVE to try Intranasal Ketamine! Ketamine is something I have been seriously looking into. Anything to get out of this hell! Any information is appreciated.
Gentle hugs

Dear Nalakity-Not sure if FDA approved. It will be my first time on this medication. This is with Nancy Sajben, San Diego, CA. What have you tried? I hope to hear from others that have tried nasal or oral ketamine.

betsykk 08-06-2012 10:58 AM

My daughter takes both internasal or sublingual from Dr Sajben as well. It provides her some relief but she has to be careful to stay fully hydrated so as to avoid bladder/kidney issues.

CRPStweet 08-08-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betsykk (Post 903633)
My daughter takes both internasal or sublingual from Dr Sajben as well. It provides her some relief but she has to be careful to stay fully hydrated so as to avoid bladder/kidney issues.

Thx betsykk!! Does your daughter just take ketamine when bad pain flares or on a schedule routinely to keep pain low?
Is sublingual easier than nasal to use?
I have been up to 6 to 8 sprays trying to figure out my dose and my nostrils were caked with the KET so it would not absorb more well.

Sandy Shores 08-08-2012 08:34 PM

any relief?

So have you found any relief at all from using it? I'm curious to know how it compares with other types of pain control. Do you use it regularly or PRN for flairs? I use Ketamine cream which helps a little but it is very expensive and ony provides short term relief.

Morgan Herritage 08-08-2012 09:28 PM

Ketamine is FDA-approved in the United States for two-day use when the patient is awake. The comas aren't approved and most likely won't be for a while.

CRPStweet 08-15-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Shores (Post 904364)
So have you found any relief at all from using it? I'm curious to know how it compares with other types of pain control. Do you use it regularly or PRN for flairs? I use Ketamine cream which helps a little but it is very expensive and ony provides short term relief.

Dear Sandy - sorry for the late reply; my neuropathic pain is bad lately. I have stopped using KET nasal for now. I had tried to use it routinely but I am not sure if it was helping. If it was helping, the relief was short term. When in a flair I find it cumbersome to do nasal KET as so many sprays are required with wait time in between for absorption.

betsykk 08-19-2012 08:33 AM

Our original plan was to take it in lieu of infusions but it has not worked as planned. Now my dd is scheduled for inpatient and then hopefully the sublingual will help keep the flares away.
lSublingual helped her more as the nasal gave her too much irritation in her nasal passages.