NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   TBI\Concussion impacts for those who are young and those not so young (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/174007-tbi-concussion-impacts.html)

rmschaver 07-30-2012 10:39 AM

TBI\Concussion impacts for those who are young and those not so young

I have seen repeated posts that I thought might be worthy of discussion. The impacts of concussion on those who are younger are not neccesarily the same as those of us who are older.

For example, depression, support systems in place, expierence and knowledge. While the injury has many of the same affects there is a notable difference in how the different age groups are coping.

Any thoughts?

Jeffrey 07-30-2012 07:34 PM

Good topic. I'd been punched in the face, passed out a few times, & was in a car accident when I was younger. No PCS.

Blow to the head when 36, PCS, and incredibly slow recovery (dealing with chronic pain in the roof of the mouth mostly (makes no sense to me).

Not sure what age specifically the danger increases of getting it, and/or recovery ability.

rmschaver 07-30-2012 07:52 PM

Age difference

About 40 is where I had read that the axons have difficulty regenerating if they even do. So if your over 40 ???

Mark in Idaho 07-30-2012 08:28 PM

The brain starts a slow downward slide at about 25. By 40, this decline speeds up.

Concussions before puberty can have better chance of recovery. Puberty puts a load on the brain that lasts until about 20. Concussions during puberty can cause a myriad of symptoms.

The factors that make the most difference is prior history of concussions and sub-concussive impacts. Many who suffer a concussion after 25 or even later have a history of sub-concussive impacts or concussions that make their PCS worse.

A history of getting seriously drunk can put the brain at greater risk, especially if the alcohol abuse is during the teens.

Confused IT GUY 07-31-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmschaver (Post 901877)
About 40 is where I had read that the axons have difficulty regenerating if they even do. So if your over 40 ???

This makes sense then I am over 40 , and I cant seem to recover from the this injury. It seems like it goes on forever. It genuinely has me concerned because I don't know what I will end up doing I have always worked and earned a living I have applied for short term disability through my employer and I see my neurologist again on the 2nd but I am not expecting to be told I will be allowed to go back to work because I have a very long commute to my job and I know it stresses my body. I had to go with my wife to her chemo treatment which is a good ways from our home and I was unable to move my neck for three days .