NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Pool Therapy (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/174034-pool-therapy.html)

SaraMichellee.(: 07-30-2012 09:46 PM

Pool Therapy

Hi guys!

I had a doctors appointment today. We covered a lot of things that needed to be talked about, including therapy.

They want me to start back in pool therapy. And I sort of remember how it goes, but it's been about 5 years since my last session of it. And that's when I was first diagnosed with this monster. So naturally, I only have bad memories. Therefore I'm rather skeptical of what's going to happen.

I would appreciate some advice on what to expect and what to do when there's pain in the water.. Is there something I should wear on that limb to help it?

Warm love &Gentle hugs. -Sara

:hug:

finz 07-31-2012 03:40 AM

Do you have worse pain when your rsd area is exposed to water ?

What has been your prior experience with swimming or bathing ?

Although a too hot 'hot tub' can be too much for me, otherwise I could happily live with my body submerged in water 24/7. It helps my TOS pain so much and is so psychologically uplifting, I don't have any issues with allodynia from being in water of a comfortable (that is key) temperature.

Does water aggravate YOUR allodynia ?

Then there is the issue of what the exercise/therapy does to your level of rsd pain. I found aquatic therapy to be much more pleasant and easier to do, with each motion causing less pain than if it was done 'on dry land'.......BUT....I could not arrrange transportation for pool therapy so I suffered through holding off on taking regularly scheduled narcotics so that I could drive there and back. Driving 1/2 each way, plus exercise time, free pool time, showering, and changing was 3 hours. Although I was fairly comfortable IN the pool, for reasons mentioned above, those 3 hours of going without needed pain meds PLUS the added pain that driving causes, PLUS having to get dressed and undressed frequently, and possibly plus added pain from the exercises, I can tell you that I definitely felt WORSE after the whole course of therapy, not better :mad:

I hope that you have different results !

I will add......I have recently found an ideal 'program' of water therapy that is working very well for me. This summer, I have been spending a lot of time at my parents' house on Cape Cod. I have been taking my scheduled pain meds on time, taking a prn dose, waiting 1/2 hour.....then walking to the local pond, doing some swimming and gentle exercises, then chillin' in the water with a good book for an hour or so, then walking home. The results are soooooo much better than my 'official' go round with aquatic therapy......there is just no comparing the two. I feel A LOT better. And I'm moving better.....and getting some exercise and losing some weight, which is a big plus for my overall health.

I think one of the biggest struggles with the RSD monster (after finding a doctor with a clue !) is realizing that no two of us are alike. What helps one's symptoms can aggravate the next person's. There's no ONE pill or treatment that will work for all of us. It's trial and error to see what will work for you.

I do love that the contributions of all the members here can include such varied 'solutions' to rsd problems, because we all have such different symptoms and remedies that work for us. Sometimes you get that one idea that you never would have thought of that will work perfectly for you.

finz 07-31-2012 03:44 AM

Hello again SM,

I just noticed......there's another current thread on aquatic PT and water/allodynia issues that you might want to check out : http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread173700.html

reluctant@thetable 08-01-2012 08:12 AM

aquatherapy

Because I have crps in my foot, aqua shoes are a must for me. I can't get in the water without them. Too much drag on my foot. My PM wants me in the pool at least 6 out of 7 days/week for at least an hr./day. Plus some of that time has to be walking in the shallow end.

I agree with others that if you have the right temperature and conditions, aquatherapy can feel wonderful. I don't want to get out of the pool at times and would like to just live in the water- it gives me the most comfort.

Good luck.

Abbie 08-01-2012 01:50 PM

I have had many sessions of pt in a swim spa.

I loved each and every one!! If I had any pain I would tell my pt.and she would immediately adapt what she had me doing.

The nice thing about a swim spa is they keep the water temperature between 84 & 90. The closer to normal body temp the better.

I cannot go in a regular swimming pool, the water is normally kept below 80 and the cold just flairs my RSD?

I have 14 more sessions....I can't wait to go back!!