NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Looking for support again (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/174448-looking-support.html)

mrsalkire 08-07-2012 01:47 PM

Looking for support again

Ok so we scheduled my surgery for the 29th of august. It will be a 3 level c3/4-c5/6. I know I have a lot to worry about. I know its going to be hard. But I am in so much pain I am going through with surgery. I have to get better and everything we have tried, keep getting worse. .
I am hoping people with experience can help me with questions for my NS, foods to have on hand, what else I will need to prepare me and to have for home also. I wont be alone for first week or two family will be helping me with everything I need. My husband will be off first week.

mrsalkire 08-07-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsalkire (Post 903989)
Ok so we scheduled my surgery for the 29th of august. It will be a 3 level c3/4-c5/6. I know I have a lot to worry about. I know its going to be hard. But I am in so much pain I am going through with surgery. I have to get better and everything we have tried, keep getting worse. .
I am hoping people with experience can help me with questions for my NS, foods to have on hand, what else I will need to prepare me and to have for home also. I wont be alone for first week or two family will be helping me with everything I need. My husband will be off first week.

And preop is scheduled for monday the 13th.

Dr. Smith 08-08-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

I am hoping people with experience can help me with questions for my NS, foods to have on hand, what else I will need to prepare me and to have for home also.

Hi Mrsalkire,

Google: questions ask neurosurgeon before back surgery
Google: questions ask neurosurgeon before cervical surgery
Google: questions ask neurosurgeon before spine surgery
Google: surgery what to bring to hospital
Google: surgery what to have ready at home

The hospital patient advocate (or someone) should provide you with any specific dietary requirements. In general, have about a week's worth of meals prepared, frozen/refrigerated, and ready to go.

Here's one handbook that covers a lot:
http://www.permanente.net/homepage/kaiser/pdf/55071.pdf

Doc

mrsalkire 08-08-2012 02:10 PM

thank you!!!!!!

thank you so much it was very helpful!!!! Im hoping they will give me something like this at hospital when I go in for pre op. But I am a planner I feel better when everything is in proper order beforehand.

RubyQ_30 08-15-2012 12:15 PM

Hope this helps some

Quote:

Keep some of the most random things you can think of on hand. The worst thing is to be laying there and realize you have forgotten the small stuff. Keep bottled water, tissues, germX (Cant stress GermX enough!), small snacks, and ask your dr what the best form of support will be (Cane, Crutch, Walker) and keep it near by. Get a little carrier for your meds to keep them organized from everything else.. you dont want to have to dig or reach for them...
Make sure that prior to surgery you have removed any obstacles that could be in your way (Things you would have to otherwise step over or walk around) and make sure you have support to get on and off the toilet (as random as that sounds that was a biggie for me!) whether you prop on your sink or have to move something like a chair in the bathroom (PRIOR to surgery or have husband do so) to help ease down and lift up. I hope any of this was helpful.. Beyond anything, take advantage of the help you are offered the first couple of weeks..dont say no..leave your pride for another day and rest!! Wishing you the best!