NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   MG and weight loss (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/174763-mg-weight-loss.html)

StephC 08-14-2012 10:58 AM

MG and weight loss

I am newly tentatively diagnosed and am trying to understand this illness as best I can.

I have read that some initial symptons of MG include unexplained weight loss. In my case, I have gained about 10-15 pounds in past year and a half but I KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT that is because was eating way too many calories due to stress and because I am hypothyroid. When I am stressed I eat foods that make you fat. Right now I need to lose about 20 lounds to be ideal recommended weight per federal guidelines.

I can honestly say in hindsight it is surprising I had not gained more than I did because there were days I ate a lot of calories and did nothing but lay around.

So question is can anyone explain why unexplained weight loss with MG? I get weight loss that can be explained (not being able to swallow, not eating as many calories etc) but I dont understand why MG would cause weight loss that

restorativepose 08-14-2012 01:52 PM

I've certainly lost weight from being on Mestinon and also from loss of muscle mass. I'm still in the 'normal' range according to gov't standards but am approaching the 'underweight' category. I'm 37yo and 5'7, 130 lbs. I have a history of bodybuilding so I had a lot of muscle mass to lose.

Brennan068 08-14-2012 02:38 PM

There are a couple of reasons for weight loss with MG.

The first and most obvious is the weakening of the jaw muscles and swallowing muscles make eating tiring - when you get tired eating you convince yourself you're full enough.

The other is that at least some of us who develop MG did so as a result of cancer - weightloss is frequently a symptom of cancer. If you have a thymoma this may be part of what is going on...

BackwardPawn 08-15-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brennan068 (Post 905740)
There are a couple of reasons for weight loss with MG.

The first and most obvious is the weakening of the jaw muscles and swallowing muscles make eating tiring - when you get tired eating you convince yourself you're full enough.

The other is that at least some of us who develop MG did so as a result of cancer - weightloss is frequently a symptom of cancer. If you have a thymoma this may be part of what is going on...

When I was in college, I went from about 150 lbs down to about 125 lbs, and can't explain why, except that I walked everywhere until I couldn't walk. I ate most meals at the dining hall, which was all you can eat, and I cooked most of the time that I didn't feel like driving up there. Occasionally would skip a meal if I felt to bad to drive or cook, but for the most part I ate and lost weight. I gained some back by drinking ensure (its gross, but works).