NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Crash & Burn (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/174888-crash-burn.html)

Blessings2You 08-16-2012 11:50 AM

Crash & Burn

I managed to have my first "real" fall in over 4 years. Just turned and started to walk across the kitchen floor, my toes dragged, and next thing I knew I was on the floor. Usually I stumble but catch myself. Scared the whosis out of my husband.

All I could think of for about three seconds was, What if I broke something?

My knee took most of the impact, and there's a huge bruise and some swelling (I iced it right away, just in case) I'm a little lame, but no harm done, at least physically.

Of course, now my husband thinks I'm going to fall any second--he doesn't want me to go downstairs. Uh...not ever? Hellooooo?

What's frustrating is, I don't know how much more careful I can be unless I use a walker in the house and take a step every two seconds. That was a close call and it scared me, too, but I'm trying not to let the "what-ifs" fill up my mind.

Kitty 08-16-2012 12:03 PM

B2Y, I just had a "close call" in the hallway but managed to catch myself on the laundry room door. The cat left a present for me and I stepped in it and slid. YUK, I know. But it's so hard to see things like that on wood floors.

I'm usually very careful and always look down the hall before walking down it.

I was fortunate that I didn't fall.....and will probably be hypervigilent for a while.....but my day is coming.

I hope you feel better. It can happen to any of us. DH will calm down after he gets tired of running up and down the stairs for a while! ;)

Kitt 08-16-2012 01:53 PM

Hope you are doing O.K. B2U. And also Kitty. Take care you guys. :)

Sparky10 08-16-2012 02:15 PM

B2Y, I hope your knee feels better soon. Your fall sounds similar to mine when I fall when trying to turn. For me, either my toes catch or my upper body turns and the feet stay planted.

After my falls my BF will inevitably say "Be careful!" Like I wasn't? :rolleyes:

Blessings2You 08-16-2012 02:50 PM

That's pretty much what happened to me, Sparky, a combination of both.

I've only had three "big" falls (I've tipped over a few times), and each time I remember my PCP recommending I take calcium because of the MS. I asked him if people with MS are more apt to have osteoporosis. He said, "No, they're more apt to fall."

The older I get, the more I think of that.

SallyC 08-16-2012 06:52 PM

:circlelove:(((((Blessings))))):circlelove:

new2net98 08-16-2012 07:38 PM

Glad you're ok, B2Y...it's kinda goofy how these bodies do this things. Gives ya a lil "Oh my goodness, how did I do that?" moment.

I fell UP the stairs tonight...with a dish in my hand & my DH laughed with me. No harm, no foul. Just every day stuff here.

Just don't let anyone tie pillows to your hips & knees...saw that on a movie once...it's funny :D but I don't think it's very fashionable!! :yikes:

:grouphug: Be Well!!

Blessings2You 08-16-2012 08:02 PM

Function before fashion, I always say. Maybe I'll look into a crash helmet.

ANNagain 08-17-2012 09:54 AM

Blessings & Kitty,

How do you each feel today?

ANN

Blessings2You 08-17-2012 10:22 AM

I'm so-so today physically, lame shoulder, sore knee, stiff muscles. But it's the psychological effects that I'm having trouble with.