NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   having a hard time with idiopathic (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/175219-hard-time-idiopathic.html)

bananababe 08-22-2012 01:27 PM

having a hard time with idiopathic

I am and I used to run recreationally but stopped when the pain began. I've had burning in my feet now for just over a year. It started in the bottoms, moved to the tops, then sensations elsewhere in my body which are more electrical in sensation. Recently, I am feeling it above my ankles. I am having such a hard time accepting it being idiopathic because it seems to be slowly progressing. I have read a lot on here and taken the advice seriously. I radically altered my diet last spring to avoid sugar and refined flour and incorporated more omega 3s. I also tried avoiding nightshades and wheat with no results. I still only eat sugar from fruit (once in awhile I cheat a tiny bit). I went off of two medications which could've been implicated in causing the nerve damage, zoloft in april and ambien in June. All of my blookwork, NCV/EMG, MRIs came back normal over the past year. I just started taking the supplements talked about on here (r lipoic, high B12 + more).

I just had some bloodwork done again. My blood sugar is very normal –*not even close to pre-diabetic. The only thing abnormal is the creatinine level which is slightly elevated. This I attribute to some significant weight lifting about 3x/week. Anyone know of any link between higher levels of creatinine and neuropathy?

But mainly, I don't understand how this can be getting worse! I have done everything I can and I can't accept that there is no known cause.

Kitt 08-22-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananababe (Post 907965)
I am and I used to run recreationally but stopped when the pain began. I've had burning in my feet now for just over a year. It started in the bottoms, moved to the tops, then sensations elsewhere in my body which are more electrical in sensation. Recently, I am feeling it above my ankles. I am having such a hard time accepting it being idiopathic because it seems to be slowly progressing. I have read a lot on here and taken the advice seriously. I radically altered my diet last spring to avoid sugar and refined flour and incorporated more omega 3s. I also tried avoiding nightshades and wheat with no results. I still only eat sugar from fruit (once in awhile I cheat a tiny bit). I went off of two medications which could've been implicated in causing the nerve damage, zoloft in april and ambien in June. All of my blookwork, NCV/EMG, MRIs came back normal over the past year. I just started taking the supplements talked about on here (r lipoic, high B12 + more).

I just had some bloodwork done again. My blood sugar is very normal –*not even close to pre-diabetic. The only thing abnormal is the creatinine level which is slightly elevated. This I attribute to some significant weight lifting about 3x/week. Anyone know of any link between higher levels of creatinine and neuropathy?

But mainly, I don't understand how this can be getting worse! I have done everything I can and I can't accept that there is no known cause.

Could it be genetic?

bananababe 08-22-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 907988)
Could it be genetic?

Good question. I'd never heard of neuropathy until last november. No one in my immediate family or any aunts, uncles or cousins has it. We were recently discussing possibility of immune system disorders running on my mom's side of the family but nothing is showing up wrong on my blood tests.