NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Leg buckling under me, anyone have this happen? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/175252-leg-buckling-happen.html)

dmplaura 08-22-2012 08:43 PM

Leg buckling under me, anyone have this happen?

So feels my left leg, at times. :confused:

When I'm standing in my kitchen cutting up vegetables for supper (after a day of work), the last 2 nights, I've noticed when my eyes dart left or right quickly, my left leg feels like it just buckles under me, or 'gives out'.

I said it's like the sensation of sand falling through an hour glass, or water falling through a faucet. I have to 'right' myself quickly. The reaction's like when you begin to nod off and come to quickly... kinda hard to explain.

I can expect it now, but the first day I experienced it happening I wondered what on earth was going on now!

I don't believe this is 'foot drop', but I can't recall how that presents exactly. This doesn't happen when I'm out walking, just when I'm standing stationary in 1 spot for a while doing something/trying to remain focused on task at hand, leg gives out over and over and over. Enough that I lose balance on the left side that I have to catch myself to avoid a fall.

I've been getting cozy with leaning on the counter lately. My left side for my symptoms has always been my worst for pretty much everything. No shocker that a new symptom would show up on the left.

Anyone else have this one happen before? Is there a fancy medical term for this? I'm going to my GP Sept. 10th, so if there is it may make the conversation with her a lot easier. Thanks folks xoxo. :)

Erika 08-22-2012 10:42 PM

Claudication?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudication

I have experienced similar symptoms but in my case the leg/knee actually buckles and recovery by contracting the knee extensors is too slow or not possible; so I fall.
The sensation is like something has suddenly pushed on the knee from the back while I am weight bearing on it. If the knee flexes too much and/or if there is a lot of the body's weight on it at the time, down I go.

In neurogenic claudication there might be a narrowing of the spinal canal due to a disc bulge or spinal oteophytes (calcified extensions) and a particular standing postition or posture temporrily narrows it even further. Standard x-rays or a CT should reveal those defects and help in assessing the cause.

May this be temporary and resolve quickly on its own.

With love, Erika

SallyC 08-23-2012 09:36 AM

It happens to me too, if I stand too long without moving my legs. I will most definately fall, unless I can sit quickly. For instance, when I fell trying to get into my minivan, last Nov..:eek: My weakness is on my left as well.

The lesson I learned was to always have a seat behind me and a place to hold on, just in case.:rolleyes: and to do my strengthening PT & OT every day.

There really is no med for this? If it's your MS, then it's just a matter of staying as safe and as strong as you can.

Keep in mind that there are other more serious causes for this too, such as "Poor Circulation". See your Doc, to make certain.:hug:

Kitty 08-23-2012 10:29 AM

I've done the same thing.....and it's usually my left leg. The same leg that gives me fits with spasticity at night.

My son gave me some suggestions that he learned in his police training. I guess they have instances where they have to remain standing for long periods of time. Or remain very still while standing. He said if I'd bend my knees ever so slightly it would help. Well, I tried it and lo and behold it worked! Wedding coordinators tell this trick to the attendants who have to stand for the entire wedding ceremony. Depending on your religion or customs that could be a l-o-n-g time.

I still can't stand for really long periods of time without moving my legs or stretching them but this helps, for instance, while waiting in line or standing at the sink.

dmplaura 08-23-2012 12:11 PM

I don't believe it's claudication, though I'm not a doctor, and this is a new one for me.

What leaves me believing this is something else is this doesn't happen when I'm out walking at all. I also began recently experiencing spasticity in my left leg (same leg as the buckling is happening to) but ONLY 1. during the night (wakes me from sleep often, interrupts sleep) 2. when I stand up too quickly and try to move quick, especially on very humid days.

I noticed something else last night about the buckling... this is happening primarily when I am doing something that involves 1. standing in 1 spot 2. leaning forward/bending

Was brushing my teeth before bed last night and leaning forward to look in the mirror, bent a little, and wouldn't you know it? Buckled leg. Caught me off guard but luckily I was leaning on the counter.

jprinz99 08-25-2012 03:55 AM

counters are my best friend too;)

marion06095 08-25-2012 10:06 AM

As time goes on, I am less and less able to walk about. The weakness and pain in my legs is mostly to blame. But last month, when I fell going down stairs, I realized that I can no longer take each step for granted. While going down stairs, which I rarely do, I turn sideways, hold on to the railing with both hands, and step down one step at a time. Last month, while going down stairs, was the first time I’ve ever fallen because my leg just went right out from under me. Thank goodness I was hanging on to the railing with both hands. It could have been a much nastier fall. Stairs are now off my itinerary.

CarolM 08-28-2012 04:04 PM

Marion,

My mom has a terrible time with stairs but she found that if she goes down backwards it's much better. If you start to fall, you're leaning into the stairs, just like when you're going up.

C

Kitt 08-28-2012 04:28 PM

I go down stairs backwards holding on to the railings. I've done it for years now.

SallyC 08-28-2012 06:41 PM

I did the side ways bit until I gave up from fear of falling. I haven't been down my basement in over a year now....even on the stair lift.:eek::)