NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Overcame a hurdle (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/176180-overcame-hurdle.html)

southblues 09-08-2012 09:30 PM

Overcame a hurdle

My husband and I were asked to play an hour set of our music tonight at a music hall. I haven't played on stage since my MG went generalized. I was really worried whether my voice would let me down. I rested all day. I timed my mestinon so that I took a pill exactly one hour before the set. I sang better than I have in years. Maybe ever! I also was able to play my guitar well. My hands stayed strong. I am so happy!

An hour after the show, I was really fatigued. My ptosis went psycho. My vision was blurred. My voice went out, my ear stopped up, and I had a hard time walking.

But I did it. I sooooooooo don't want to give up singing. Over half of the songs are songs that I wrote. I think that I can do this. At least for now. We were asked to come back in November!

pingpongman 09-08-2012 10:03 PM

Oh happy day!

StephC 09-09-2012 06:49 AM

Good for you! Congrats

alice md 09-09-2012 10:41 AM

That's great.

The good thing about MG is that you can do something which is very important for you, not on a daily basis but every once in a while.
There is always a price, but some things are worth that price.

As one of my physicians put it-You can't run a marathon every day, but you can every few months.

The danger of this, is if you and other people start to think that if you could do this extra effort, you can repeat it on a daily basis, if you only try hard enough. As long as you do not fall into this trap, you can do it every once in a while during relatively good times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 912939)
My husband and I were asked to play an hour set of our music tonight at a music hall. I haven't played on stage since my MG went generalized. I was really worried whether my voice would let me down. I rested all day. I timed my mestinon so that I took a pill exactly one hour before the set. I sang better than I have in years. Maybe ever! I also was able to play my guitar well. My hands stayed strong. I am so happy!

An hour after the show, I was really fatigued. My ptosis went psycho. My vision was blurred. My voice went out, my ear stopped up, and I had a hard time walking.

But I did it. I sooooooooo don't want to give up singing. Over half of the songs are songs that I wrote. I think that I can do this. At least for now. We were asked to come back in November!

Anacrusis 09-09-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 912939)

That´s just AWESOME!!!!! That must have felt so wonderful for you to get your voice, talent and audience all working again!

(Anyone new to MG….if you are going to do hi-energy activities here´s a recipe for you!):

Before the activity:

:Zzzz::Zzzz::Zzzz::Zzzz::Zzzz:

Activity:

:trampoline::trampoline::trampoline::trampoline:

Day after activity:

:Zzzz::Zzzz::Zzzz::Zzzz::Zzzz:

hajile99 09-09-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice md (Post 913031)
As one of my physicians put it-You can't run a marathon every day, but you can every few months.

I'm really glad you just said that. All I want to do is get out and run! Hopefully soon... :)

southblues 09-09-2012 05:30 PM

I was so keyed up last night that I didn't sleep at all. Now I am REALLY tired. There was so much I wanted to do today...........

alice md 09-10-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hajile99 (Post 913114)
I'm really glad you just said that. All I want to do is get out and run! Hopefully soon... :)

That was figurative. He didn't literally mean running a marathon. He meant doing something which pushes you to the edge of your abilities.

hajile99 09-10-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice md (Post 913223)
That was figurative. He didn't literally mean running a marathon. He meant doing something which pushes you to the edge of your abilities.

I figured...but I'm still going to take it at face value for now. Lol :)

southblues 09-10-2012 08:33 AM

I am afraid that I have backed off of exercise activities too much. I don't know how much is the right amount. Since it is cooling off, I may walk a bit more.