NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Need help with 14month headache (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/176322-help-14month-headache.html)

SAMPLUIS 09-11-2012 10:33 PM

Need help with 14month headache

Hi there, i have had a headache that started 14 months ago, n is now at extreme n i cant get any relief. I had to have another day off today..the pain is behind my ears n sometimes the ear cartlidge, mainly on left side, usually at the back of my head, sharp stabbing pains, today theyr in my forehead, sometimes sore arm and painful neck. Seeing neuro tomorrow , do u think he will help with injections? Bone scan says costovertebral junction arthritic reaction /enthesitis at t1, and arthritic reaction in left shoulder, minor enthesitis in the facet joints mainly on left at c1/c2 , minor hyperaemia in the ac joint. She said my pain is too severe for the findings to be the cause of my 14 month headache

SAMPLUIS 09-11-2012 11:02 PM

O i have been on constant voltarin n various painkillers everyday now resorting to codiene, had acupuncture, massages n months of physio. Want to start strengthening neck but the small amount of stretches i end up doing only make things worse,

Jomar 09-11-2012 11:16 PM

Are you thinking you have TOS?
What ind of work do you do?
Any accidents or upper body injuries to head, neck or shoulders?
Any repetitive motion injury?

explore our useful sticky threads for a lot of saved & important info-
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread84.html

SAMPLUIS 09-11-2012 11:19 PM

o n also mention the mri showed nothing so im not sure. i was thinkn it was neuralgia, not sure what tos is,

SAMPLUIS 09-11-2012 11:23 PM

mri says no nerve root issues n everthing on that was fine, not sure what tos is ill look up, i was thinkn neuralgia

jkl626 09-12-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMPLUIS (Post 913776)
Hi there, i have had a headache that started 14 months ago, n is now at extreme n i cant get any relief. I had to have another day off today..the pain is behind my ears n sometimes the ear cartlidge, mainly on left side, usually at the back of my head, sharp stabbing pains, today theyr in my forehead, sometimes sore arm and painful neck. Seeing neuro tomorrow , do u think he will help with injections? Bone scan says costovertebral junction arthritic reaction /enthesitis at t1, and arthritic reaction in left shoulder, minor enthesitis in the facet joints mainly on left at c1/c2 , minor hyperaemia in the ac joint. She said my pain is too severe for the findings to be the cause of my 14 month headache

I think a pain dr. is what you need. I think injections can help. Where are you located?

nospam 09-12-2012 04:55 AM

Have you been evaluated for TOS? My advice would be to seek out a vascular surgeon with TOS experience for such an eval. Your pain doc can do diagnostic injections but should know immediately if they have effect (even if only temporary). I experienced excruciating headaches and earaches for months (I initially thought I had ear infections) that baffled my primary and pain doc (I eventually had to stop working). We eventually suspected nuerogenic TOS (I had a previous neurologist suspect this in the past). I sought out some vascular surgeons and they found that I had both vascular and neurogenic TOS contributing to the symptoms. Raising my arms was compressing the thoracic outlet and the PT I was doing was making me worse. I had to train myself to drive and sleep with my elbows at my side (not near my head) and wore Intelliskin postural garments to get the aches under control (I still required rib resection surgery).

Try keeping your elbows at your sides at all times (especially driving and sleeping) and see if it helps.

Intelliskin Sound Off

Jomar 09-12-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMPLUIS (Post 913790)
o n also mention the mri showed nothing so im not sure. i was thinkn it was neuralgia, not sure what tos is,

TOS is thoracic outlet syndrome - it's the name of this forum section you posted in , that's why we asked if that was what you have.:cool:

Maybe our Headache forum might be helpful -
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum32.html

or
Occipital Neuralgia and other Cranial Neuralgias forum -
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum105.html

You may want to read about trigger points in muscles, they can cause referred pain & headaches depending on the location of them.

chroma 09-13-2012 04:26 AM

@nospam/Marc: I used to get the earaches too. One of my earliest symptoms before I knew what TOS and TMJD were. They are not as bad or as frequent now. Btw I associate them more with TMJD simply due to the jaw muscles coming together around that area (temporalis, masseter, etc.).

OzKira 09-15-2012 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMPLUIS (Post 913776)

If you have vascular TOS your headaches could be due to the compression and blood flow issues. I had them for years almost daily before I had a blood clot from compression and poof they went for a while. They came back in the lead up to my 2nd blood clot and now come and go. My neuro has told me they are related to the restriction of blood from compression. Best to have yourself checked with a good vascular surgeon.