NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Insight meditation training? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/177285-insight-meditation-training.html)

Theta Z 10-01-2012 06:45 PM

Insight meditation training?

Hello,

Theta, 'The Quiet One', here.
I think that Mark, moderator Chemar, vini, and some other long-time members here on NT can 'vouchsafe' for me.

I am wondering, interested to know if anyone on here is currently practicing specifically insight meditation training? What is your experience?

I have given up hope of any genuine help from medical healthcare, therapies, meds, etc etc. And now due to TBI, on disability income only, I cannot afford nutritional supplements or any other type of therapy.

I have been offered, at *no co$t* i.e.free, 10-day silent meditation training, with simple accomodation/room & board included *free*, at an insight meditation training center, highly-reputable, international organization.

It seems a perhaps best hope option, for me at least, to learn to work with one's mind, simply, as it is, chronic pain in the body, simply as it is.

Of course, the 10 days of highly-intensive training does not 'fix' anything.
Rather, it is an opportunity for learning a way, a technique, to cope with mind and body ---
to be diligently practiced and honed, in daily life-discipline, to be practiced thereafter lifelong.

*Note* I am not seeking advice or help in deciding 'to do or not do' this training.
I have already determined that I am going to do this.
Neither am I promoting this.

I am particularly interested to hear from persons (here already on NT) --- who have some positive experience of insight meditation practice in coping with "it all", i.e. neuro probs, mild-moderate closed head injury/ MTBI/PCS, head pain, vertigo/dizzies/brain zaps, the many changes we've experienced in "who we are" as a self/a person our general overall well-being --- in coping with what we each have to deal with on a daily basis.

As most of us closed-head injured / MTBI'd are largely perceived:
"The physical package looks great! Walking, talking!
Unbroken. Unscathed. What more could ya want?"
:p

I for one do want more.

If you're interested to know more of what is insight meditation, please feel free to google it online, doing your own research, or to private-message me here on NT.

Respectfully,
Theta ;)
Theta, now since 2008, become 'The Quiet One', yet still Strong, Determined. Age 50s/4 yrs out/2008 rear-ended/totalled moving-vehicle collision, closed-head injury/tbi/pcs ... physically appear an "unbroken package" --> wholly uncompensated by the at-fault / defendant auto insuror :mad: ... yada, yada, yada.

rmschaver 10-01-2012 07:18 PM

Meditation

I am unsure of the type of meditation you speak. I taught meditation to myself as a child when my parents divorced and I essentially had no parents. Heres what I learned. In my opinion it is defintely worth it if the offering comes with no strings. Guided would be helpful.

At ten days you will get a oreintation and not much more but hey it can not hurt.
Meditation helps me with perspective. If I am feeling overwhelmed then I can marshall myself to regain minimal composure. It will be needed if you want to raise your awareness.

When practicesed to high levels pain management is purportedly possible. But keep in mind that can take years or practice. Health benefits are documented for those who regularly practice.

Personally I feel a higher awareness is essential to some degree to accept a life altering injury.

rmschaver 10-01-2012 07:21 PM

Dharma

If this is offered by the Dharma.org and you are interested I would say go for it.

Theta Z 10-02-2012 12:51 AM

Thank you, rmschaver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmschaver (Post 918945)
If this is offered by the Dharma.org and you are interested I would say go for it.

rmschaver,

I thank you for sharing a bit of your own personal experience of using your meditation in coping in your PCS-life.

As I stated, I already determined that I am going to do this.
Not seeking advisement', opinions, or 'help' in deciding.
I'm well aware of all the science and the potentials.

Perhaps like you, I also "learned to meditate" -- but that was 30+ years ago for me --- I'm not the same person I was either then 30 yrs ago; nor do I even resemble to myself, the same person I was a few years ago, who I was, prior to being rear-ended, closed-head injured, yada, yada, yada, on ad nauseum.

Thanks for sharing your experience, re: meditation, in coping with your own life-altering experience here. Sounds like you are doing well with-it-all.

Theta :rolleyes:
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
Theta, now since 2008, become 'The Quiet One', yet still Strong, Determined. Age 50s/4 yrs out/2008 rear-ended/totalled moving-vehicle collision, closed-head injury/tbi/pcs ... physically appear an "unbroken package" --> wholly uncompensated by the at-fault / defendant auto insuror ... yada, yada, yada.

pcslife 10-02-2012 09:25 AM

Theta Z,

I saw your message on another thread and thought continue here. Thanks and sure you can copy. I also keep changing signatures based on how I feel. :)

I was practicing Transcendental Meditation before head injury on and off. Now I need help because of my mTBI. My mind chatters a lot (especially when symptoms hits and it happens randomly through out the day or go do anything like shopping etc.,). Some times even walking few steps I get fatigued and dizzy). I need to learn new meditation techniques.

Interesting I found a Insight meditation group in Washington D.C.
www.imcw.org/

It seems it can help you in some ways and you are also realistic by not expecting a miracle cure :) Keep us posted about your experience when you go there.

Cheers!

Theta Z 10-02-2012 11:22 PM

Bump-up from speech therapy thread: post by pcslife

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcslife (Post 918772)
ThetaZ,

I am about 3 and a half years and tried so many things and didn't have much success any of it. Neurofeedback, Cranio sacral, Myofascial pain release helped only temporarily. Xanax helps some what so I am also at the point I have to do something else. Like train my brain to handle the symptoms.

Keep posted about meditation training and really intrigued. I know some people with TBI went all the way to Himalayas after tried everything and get into deep meditation and came back fine.

I can't travel that far and if something available here especially in East Coast I sure give it a try. Do they accept TBI/PCS sufferers or open for everyone?

pcslife

I saw your message on another thread and thought continue here. Thanks and sure you can copy. I also keep changing signatures based on how I feel.

I was practicing Transcendental Meditation before head injury on and off. Now I need help because of my mTBI. My mind chatters a lot (especially when symptoms hits and it happens randomly through out the day or go do anything like shopping etc.,). Some times even walking few steps I get fatigued and dizzy). I need to learn new meditation techniques.

Interesting I found a Insight meditation group in Washington D.C.
www.imcw.org/

It seems it can help you in some ways and you are also realistic by not expecting a miracle cure Keep us posted about your experience when you go there.

Cheers!

pcslife,

Thanks so much for your replies to my inquiry. ;)
It's great to hear of your experience with practicing TM meditation before-PCS. To train in meditation anew may be a good basis for our further healing. I'm so impatient with my own process, I know. I can't help the desire to do better to be better.

Like your walking a few simple steps --> dizzies, fatigue ---
like our struggles with distractions and overwhelm ---
I am beset by the dizzies & busy-ness of this mind and it is exhausting!

SO, I'm thinking some us indeed might as well put a best effort into a ~2500 yr old technique with 21st century scientific and medical backing. That's potentially a lot therapy for no cost of money.

Great news that you've found insight meditation center in the DC-area.
[ I looked at it and was pleased to find, front-and-center: "This teaching is given freely ..." Yes. Excellent.]

Let's keep posted on our experience, yes.

Will reply more to your posts; my brain needs a break from my effort of posting. Sigh ... :(

And that brings me to close the notebook, close my eyes, and breathe into the present moment. Practice practice practice. :p

Keep up the good work pcslife.
Thanks for your encouragement here.

Good healing to you.

Theta