NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Need Advice, Major Flare Up (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/177349-advice-major-flare.html)

thedelacruz5 10-02-2012 07:09 PM

Need Advice, Major Flare Up

I cant decide if I should go to the hospital or not. I need some advice...
Im having a major Multiple Sclerosis flare up. The left side of my face went numb a month ago, and a week ago, I began experiencing Optic neuritis in my left eye. Now I feel like im getting a cold, and 2 days ago I began experiencing Vertigo. I feel super weak and feel like im gonna drop to the floor every 10 min.
My doctor seems too busy to get back to me, he did order an MRI last week and Ive taken 5 days of oral steroids, but things are just getting worse. I want to avoid any permanent damage to my eye. Any advice?
Thanks

Lynn 10-03-2012 12:20 AM

Hi there

I started with ON, and I didn't have any 'roids at all - it tool a long time to get over and I still have residual damage eleven years later. I had no idea what was going on and had not even thought of MS.

If it happened again, I would be hightailing it to the doctor/neuro/ER - your vision is something you don't want to mess around with. I don't think the steroids actually improve the final outcome of the attack, but if it helps to shorten the time frame....

Of course, if you have had lots of steroids, that is something else to consider. They can cause all sorts of problems with bone density and other nasties too if you have too many.

Tough call, but hugs and I hope things get better for you soon

Lyn

Erin524 10-03-2012 12:42 AM

I thought oral steroids were contraindicated for optic neuritis. When I've had to take steroids for ON, they always give me IV solumedrol. (with a taper of oral steroids)

jacksonsmommy 10-03-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedelacruz5 (Post 919224)
I cant decide if I should go to the hospital or not. I need some advice...
Im having a major Multiple Sclerosis flare up. The left side of my face went numb a month ago, and a week ago, I began experiencing Optic neuritis in my left eye. Now I feel like im getting a cold, and 2 days ago I began experiencing Vertigo. I feel super weak and feel like im gonna drop to the floor every 10 min.
My doctor seems too busy to get back to me, he did order an MRI last week and Ive taken 5 days of oral steroids, but things are just getting worse. I want to avoid any permanent damage to my eye. Any advice?
Thanks

Honestly, if you have already done 'roids, there is not much more they will probably do for you. If there is going to be permanent damage from the ON, there is nothing you can do about it. Sorry.

I know this isn't the answer you want, but I don't think going to the hospital will do you any good. I'd try to rest as much as possible and kick the cold which will definitely help.l

NurseNancy 10-04-2012 02:08 PM

i would find out what the mri report said, from whoever took it, or your dr.
and i should have been ordered with and without contrast. if not i feel like that's an X against your dr.

and i agree with the oral steroid comment. usually IV roids are given for a bad flare. so much depends on the mri report. do you have an active disease going on now? more lesions? this may also be another X against your dr.

do you have insurance? i'd try to get a 2nd opinion. get that report and read it for yourself. get a copy of it, plus the CD of the films. start a medical file of information on yourself. get your test results.

i do NOT think this is the end of the tx road for you. don't give up. keep pushing for answers and til you find a dr who pays you the time of day. if it takes going to the ER then i'd go. have you seen a neuro opthamologist for your eyes?

please do some of these things and keep up posted. if you're too sick, fever too high, can't see, or too weak go to the ER. try to stay hydrated, drink water. you can take OTC meds for fever reducers, take a lukewarm shower to lower you temp.

do you have a good pcp? call him.

ANNagain 10-06-2012 07:11 PM

What is happening, Delacruz5?

ANN