NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   Recommended reading (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/17744-recommended-reading.html)

ninavandy 04-17-2007 02:29 PM

Recommended reading

Hi,

I'm a librarian in chronic pain and just read a good book for those dealing with pain or illness. It's called The Lonely Patient by Michael D. Stein.

It is written by a great, caring internist and it touched me in many ways. It would be a a wonderful book for all doctors to read but good for anyone in chronic pain.

Nina

buriedinbooks 04-17-2007 08:49 PM

Thank you, Nina!

On my way to Amazon right now! Any other titles for a CP suggested reading list?

Gentle ehugs, Carly
:wink:

ninavandy 04-17-2007 10:38 PM

The Lonely Patient

I'll check tomorrow at work to see if there are any other titles I can think of - this is the first I've read that was not a "how to stand your pain" - it's more sympathetic and philosophical.

Nina

ninavandy 04-19-2007 01:05 PM

Recommended reading

Another book getting a huge first printing (250,000) is How Doctors Think.

I haven't read it yet, but supposedly it gives patients advice on how to engage in better dialogue with doctors.

Be nice if the HMOs gave us more time to talk with the doctors, huh?

Nina

sadlyme 04-22-2007 11:52 PM

Thank You........

:D Anything to help me explain the CRPS I live in is a must read.. I trained so many pain doc's I should be paid..

ttys,,,,,,,

buriedinbooks 04-23-2007 04:04 PM

Thanks Nina

I grab and read ANY book that deals with chronic pain.

The books that irritate me the most are the types that claim they can get me out of your pain ASAP...then continue to tell me that I am not accepting my pain OR the pain is all psychological.

Just got/started The Lonely Patient...poor lady in the beginning has seen 30plus docs for stomach pain/vomiting. Told she has anorexia and other eating disorders...only a shrink can help. And then she learns the truth (won't present a spoiler here...just say there is a forum on NeuroTalk devoted to the illness.)

Unfotunately many docs won't/can't take the time to explore all possibilities. A top ten list of sorts...not this --- not that ---- not the other thing. Well. the cause must be psychological.

The secret is to find the right medical professional who will take the time and maybe even ask the patient what he/she feels is the cause of the pain.

I was so excited when my neuro actually listened to me about B12 and Vitamin D and mag/potasium levels and G/C S. Took the proper tests (DNA included) and lo and behold...I had problems. Too bad the timeline followed a 20 year span.

Will check out my shelves and see if any tomes should be added to the list.

Low pain numbers to all...Carly