NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   In the Hospital (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/177557-hospital.html)

lisainvegas 10-05-2012 11:45 PM

In the Hospital

Hi All, Went for my first Neuro appointment today and they admitted me to the hospital to begin the IVIG for 5 days. Scared to Death. I do not know what to expect.
:(

AnnieB3 10-06-2012 12:23 AM

Lisa, Please don't be worried. The fact that your neurologist was proactive and knew you needed some help is a good thing. Ask them about taking Benadryl and Tylenol before the procedure and continuing to do so. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids. Let the nurse/doctor know of any adverse effects of the IVIG. Many people do just fine on it!!!

It's fairly normal to do the first IVIG in the hospital. Later, if your insurance allows for it, it can be done at home or an infusion center.

You're in the best place for care. Stress won't do you any good, so if you can meditate or find a calm place, do that. I really hope things go well for you. Hang in there!

:hug:
Annie

Anacrusis 10-06-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisainvegas (Post 920208)
Hi All, Went for my first Neuro appointment today and they admitted me to the hospital to begin the IVIG for 5 days. Scared to Death. I do not know what to expect.
:(

From us.....:grouphug:...:grouphug:....:grouphug:...... .hope this helps a little......:)

bny806 10-06-2012 04:38 AM

Good luck!!!! I second that drinking LOTS of water!! Also, for me rate is really important.. if you start getting a headache slowing the rate can really help!! That and toradol worked wonders for me too!

StephC 10-06-2012 08:29 AM

I am curious what is so different about lisainvegas's situation that her first appointment with neuro she is admitted for ivig and seems most of us, myself included, have been to multiple visits to multiple neuro(s) over several months and only relief offered has been starting mestinon and prednisone (not that i begrudge her or am not appreciative for the rx.

alice md 10-06-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephC (Post 920281)
I am curious what is so different about lisainvegas's situation that her first appointment with neuro she is admitted for ivig and seems most of us, myself included, have been to multiple visits to multiple neuro(s) over several months and only relief offered has been starting mestinon and prednisone (not that i begrudge her or am not appreciative for the rx.

There is no "standard of care" in MG.

Therefore each neurologist can do as he/she pleases.

Ideally this should also take into account the life style and preferences of the patient and not be significantly influenced by other reasons.

But, I agree with you that many times management decisions seem to be completely arbitrary.

As opposed to my field of practice in which a newly diagnosed patient would pretty much get the same work-up and treatment anywhere in the world (unless there are very compelling reasons not to do so), this is not so for MG.

scrubbs 10-06-2012 10:15 AM

Just follow Annie's advice and I'm sure you will do fine.

Were you comfortable with Dr. Farbman?

scrubbs

BackwardPawn 10-06-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrubbs (Post 920301)

scrubbs

Good luck with everything. There's really nothing to it--you'll get an infusion for a few hours, possibly get really sleepy and need a nap, and hopefully wake up feeling better. If you get a headache from it, ask for them to infuse more slowly on the next treatment.

southblues 10-07-2012 03:09 PM

Good luck with your treatment. :hug:

lisainvegas 10-07-2012 06:11 PM

Hi Scrubbs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrubbs (Post 920301)

scrubbs

I met with Dr. Farbman and he was great, but he said that he was going to refer me to Dr. Ginsuerg. I am currently in the Hospital and Ginsburg is coming to see me tomorrow. I just wanted to say thank you so much for the information you gave me.

Lisa