NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Dr. is recommending graduated return to work (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/178181-dr-recommending-graduated-return.html)

carebear925 10-16-2012 03:38 PM

Dr. is recommending graduated return to work

Hi all,

I am nervous and excited to begin returning to work tomorrow. My Dr. recommended returning 25% per week until I am at 'full load' again. Any one know why that is? I could use some background info to explain it to my boss.

Thanks,
Carrie

Mark in Idaho 10-16-2012 04:00 PM

This 25% return rate is so you do not over-stimulate your brain. It should be 25% of a shift, not working a full day and 1/4. If you can work 2 hours a day at your normal pace and environment for the first week, then go to 1/2 days for a week then maybe 3/4 days for a week then full time.

If you get too busy too fast, you can relapse and need a few weeks off to recover. Do not push your return to work. Just because you can work 2 hours and feel good does not mean you can keep working. The fatigue will have a delayed reaction.

So, go to work for a few hours and when you get home, keep the rest of the day easy. It will be much easier to go slow than have to make up for overdoing it.

My best to you.

carebear925 10-16-2012 04:24 PM

Thanks, Mark. I greatly appreciate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 923174)
This 25% return rate is so you do not over-stimulate your brain. It should be 25% of a shift, not working a full day and 1/4. If you can work 2 hours a day at your normal pace and environment for the first week, then go to 1/2 days for a week then maybe 3/4 days for a week then full time.

If you get too busy too fast, you can relapse and need a few weeks off to recover. Do not push your return to work. Just because you can work 2 hours and feel good does not mean you can keep working. The fatigue will have a delayed reaction.

So, go to work for a few hours and when you get home, keep the rest of the day easy. It will be much easier to go slow than have to make up for overdoing it.

My best to you.

srgallan 10-16-2012 08:39 PM

Carebear925,

Take your time if possible easing back, I had a setback moving too quickly ahead of what I should and was setback for 2 months. Started my gradual return again 5 weeks ago all over again. A bit wiser I hope this time:)

rmschaver 10-16-2012 11:29 PM

Return to work

A positive attitude is helpful. I have tried a few times. My early attempts at my employers behest did not go well. If you feel comfortable then this may be a very good way to return. It is good advice not to overdue it. Being back in contact with my co-workers was a positive reinforcement and made me feel better.

Good Luck.