NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Coughing, coughing and more coughing (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/178312-coughing-coughing-coughing.html)

Anacrusis 10-18-2012 12:52 PM

Coughing, coughing and more coughing

This last period of weak coughing has lasted 2 months long. Just a few times a day, very sudden - it seems as though the lungs are surprised by an unwelcome saliva gatecrasher. It´s definitely a protective cough and not a productive one.

I had it before - and it lasted 11 months (I´m a female and ended up with a 6-pack side effect from all this unplanned ´exercise´)

One neurologist told me it could be an allergy - so yes I could take the tests yet again. As it doesn´t go away with Mestinon like the other muscle weakness does.

Anyone have experience with a persistent neverending cough around here?

jana 10-18-2012 01:56 PM

Has asthma been ruled out?

Personally, I usually wheeze -- but, have had the coughing spells. My mom's asthma is almost totally coughing -- and it sounds a lot like what you describe -- sudden, non-productive -- and hers is very LOUD.

Of course if you have bulbar MG symptoms, you could be coughing because something doesn't feel "right" in your throat. I've had that happen, too, during exacerbations -- usually after I eat.

Brennan068 10-18-2012 02:33 PM

Has pneumonia been ruled out? I had that for 6 months this year and it wasn't until we had a CT of my lungs done that they discovered the nasty bug stretching out one of my bronchial tubes.

southblues 10-18-2012 08:07 PM

Dang. That cough needs seeing about. I hope you get better!:eek::eek:

Anacrusis 10-19-2012 06:30 AM

Thanks Jana, Brennan & Celeste :)

They didn´t give an asthma test because I didn´t have the problems breathing out only breathing in.

I guess I shouldn´t do what I expect the doctors not to do and that is just describle one symptom on the forum here in isolation!

So......I never choke on food just get things stuck like a rice particle for one hour after eating. I sometimes choke on liquid, spit and vapours. One of worst symptoms - spit making rattling noises somewhere in the top of the lungs. I hate to admit but the last few times in the shower I´ve worn a disposable mask for most of the shower so as to prevent coughing on water vapour. But yes it´s a good idea to rule asthma out (or in) Jana, hope you and your Mom have a symptom free weekend.

Brennan - 6 months of pneumonia - that must be a record! When I had the long stint of 11 months mild coughing it was around the time of the CT scan for thyoma - so no pneumonia, and no thyoma :)

Anacrusis

neutro 10-20-2012 11:38 AM

Hi Anacrusis,
My wife had a never ending coughing problem 3 years ago which took 6 months to get DX thanks to an obstinate pneumologist and the outcome of a battery of tests unfortunately was "lung cancer" ...in her case, a relapse from a breast cancer treated 20 years ago!
Also in her case, the coughing problem was associated with persistant tiredness.
So don't mess around and see a competent pneumologist ASAP!
I hope you'll get a reassuring answer,
Maurice.

Anacrusis 10-20-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutro (Post 924236)
Hi Anacrusis,
My wife had a never ending coughing problem 3 years ago which took 6 months to get DX thanks to an obstinate pneumologist and the outcome of a battery of tests unfortunately was "lung cancer" ...in her case, a relapse from a breast cancer treated 20 years ago!
Also in her case, the coughing problem was associated with persistant tiredness.
So don't mess around and see a competent pneumologist ASAP!
I hope you'll get a reassuring answer,
Maurice.

I´m so terribly sorry you both had to go through all that, Maurice.

Thanks for the little reality check. Unfortunately I know what symptoms I have, can work around them but never quite get to thinking I really have anything! Interestingly I had a few private messages including something about micro aspiration (which I had no idea about - might explain why lungs sometimes feel like they have been sprayed with water inside) and I also received a recommendation for an excellent pulmonologist in Europe.
I had CT of the lungs last year whilst having the same symptoms and there were no discrepancies visible. We do live in high radon area though which can cause lung cancer so we are checking that too.

All the best, Maurice

PS (From your other post – I´ve just started drinking purified water and also French white wine – but only because I like it!!)