NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Normalizing (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/178459-normalizing.html)

carebear925 10-21-2012 01:44 PM

Normalizing

Hey All,

I am showing signs of improvement, I felt absolutely great yesterday. I worked on a project for school and even went to dinner at a quiet restaurant with my hubby.

I woke up this morning feeling pretty awful- exhausted, headache, ringing in my ears, sensitivity to light, spacey, balance issues and anxiety- the whole shabang. The symptoms are much less intense but I am just confused as to why I feel great one day and the next my symptoms pop up again. It makes me feel crazy, or like it is "all in my head".

Is this because I worked on my school work? I felt totally fine while doing it..How do I know when to call it quits? Still quite a newbie to all of this and trying to figure out how to normalize and cope as my brain continues to heal.

I also wanted to share that I got a lot of benefit out of doing cranial-sacral therapy sessions and am going to continue that because it seems to be effective in curbing dizziness, fatigue and anxiety, just thought I'd share.

Take Care!

Thanks all,

Carrie

Mark in Idaho 10-21-2012 06:11 PM

carebear,

It is common for a return of symptoms to be delayed to the day after the good day when activity was resumed. Just because you are having a good day does not mean you can resume your activities. Your brain heals when you are having a good day. You need to link as many good days together as possible.

If you take care to consider all factors, you likely had subtle symptoms that indicated you were doing too much. As you were doing your school work, if you needed to reread a line of text or stop or slow down to process what the text means, you have reached your limit. If when you were out to dinner, you had any sense of needing quiet or noticed the other voices in the room, you have reached your limit.

As much as you want to get back to normal activities, you need to resist the urge. Plan your 'back to normal' times so that you have a recovery period after the event. If you plan ahead, you will not need to be trying to recover during a time when you need to be active. I have worked successfully with this system for a decade.

In time, you will begin to recognize the subtle symptoms of over-doing it so you can self-moderate you activity rather than react to over-activity.

Hope this helps.

My best to you.

carebear925 10-21-2012 06:24 PM

It really does help, Thanks Mark. I will be on the look out for trigger symptoms that indicate I need to stop.

I appreciate your input.

concussedlawyer 10-22-2012 11:23 AM

I feel the same!

It is so wonderful to have a good day that it can make you crazy to have a bad day. It is really hard to accept it! I do the same thing, is this in my head? Am I making this up? exaggerating? And when I have a good day I have so much that I want to get done. My neurologist was funny, he said that he thinks is sometimes takes his female patients longer to recover because as soon as they have a good day they go out and do something like clean the garage. And did I take his advice (and Mark's) and go slow? No. I had a good couple of weeks so I flew to a conference in Texas, then clead all my closets, took my pre-teen to the mall, move furniture in my house etc... So, I get what you are going through and you are not crazy.

carebear925 10-22-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concussedlawyer (Post 924709)
It is so wonderful to have a good day that it can make you crazy to have a bad day. It is really hard to accept it! I do the same thing, is this in my head? Am I making this up? exaggerating? And when I have a good day I have so much that I want to get done. My neurologist was funny, he said that he thinks is sometimes takes his female patients longer to recover because as soon as they have a good day they go out and do something like clean the garage. And did I take his advice (and Mark's) and go slow? No. I had a good couple of weeks so I flew to a conference in Texas, then clead all my closets, took my pre-teen to the mall, move furniture in my house etc... So, I get what you are going through and you are not crazy.

Thanks for the input and reassurance.