NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   nerve condution study results (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/179431-nerve-condution-study-results.html)

cath4512 11-08-2012 10:20 AM

nerve condution study results

I received the results from my nerve conduction test today. It says...

".the results are entirely normal including size, velocity & motor parameters. At this stage there is no evidence of suspecte large fibre peripheral neuropathy.

Some of her symptoms can be explained by short fibre dysfunction. Biopsy & thermal threshold testing are 2 ways to investigate small fibre neropathy.

As the she has only had the symptoms since May, if the symptoms continue to remail unexplained, repeat neurophysiology in 6 to 9 months is advised."

I see a neuro for the first time next tuesday (13/11/12). Will he still keep an open mind as to whats happening?? I'm worried that he will read this & not do anything else for 6-9 months. What do you think?

thanks

glenntaj 11-09-2012 07:09 AM

I would think--

--that further testing, as listed, could be performed for the possibility of small fiber neuropathy. Nerve conduction studies/EMG's cannot measure dysfunction of small, unmyelinated nerves, but only gross dysfunction of larger, myelinated nerves (as the report notes), and often people with small-fiber syndromes have unremarkable nerve conduction studies.

If your first visit to a neurologist is about to occur, who did the nerve conduction study?

cath4512 11-09-2012 02:18 PM

my GP asked for the nerve conduction study. He also mentioned MS as a possibility as I have quite a lot of symptoms :-
tingling/prickling in feet and right hand
numbness in right foot
shooting pains up my legs
increased need to pass urine
blurred vision
headache
really tierd most days
feeling lightheaded

I'm just so worried & I just want to know whats wrong :(

glenntaj 11-10-2012 07:23 AM

Have you had--

--any MRI's of brain and spine, with and without contrast, to check for plaquing or other evidence of MS lesions in the central nervous system?

Susanne C. 11-10-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenntaj (Post 930295)
--any MRI's of brain and spine, with and without contrast, to check for plaquing or other evidence of MS lesions in the central nervous system?

This would sound like the first step. My first neurologist sent me for a brain scan ASAP after she did the EMG/NCS, even though my NCS was abnormal and she already suspected hereditary PN. It is a simple test for a serious disease, and your symptoms seem to demand it. Good luck. I hope you get attention soon.

cath4512 11-11-2012 04:05 PM

I am hoping the neuro sends me for an MRI. I have been in a lot of pain the last three days with shooting pains up my legs. I just want it to stop :Sob: