NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   bug crawling sensation at night (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/179542-bug-crawling-sensation-night.html)

jinga 11-10-2012 08:22 PM

bug crawling sensation at night

I am wondering if anyone who has suffered a mtbi\head injury ever experienced the sensation of bugs crawling on you at night . I experienced this at various times in the last year.

I do not have pets, change bedding often and do not feel this when i take a nap during the day or on some nights or during the day so that would suggest the feeling is not based on an actual bug but the sensations that feel like bugs crawling. I have googled several times and there are theories all around on casues. Some point to stress\depression others to parathesis or neurologic based causes.

I dont have bite marks or anything but sometimes it will cause me to reach down and scratch my ankle leg or chest area etc... Then the feeling appears in a different area

I have seen this is also seen in some head injury patients. I am somewhat reluctant to bring it to my docs attention as everything under the sun seems to be depression and anxiety but I never experienced this until after my accident and like I said it is intermittent. When I feel this way it is diffucult to fall or stay a sleep. I have many other sleepless or little sleep nights where I do not feel this sensation.

Mark in Idaho 11-10-2012 09:09 PM

I have had similar feelings. I resolved them by only sleeping in cotton fabrics. If I tried to sleep in polyester fabrics, I could feel ever little odd difference. At its worst, I needed to sleep in chenille gloves. This was when I had some carpal tunnel sensations.

So, I use cotton to wear and either good quality cotton sheets (Egyptian combed cotton are my favorite) or microfiber sheets.

You might try a good flush from a niacin pill to see if it helps your skin settle down. Niacin will flush the skin and nerves with a good blood flow leaving your skin with calm sensation after the flush goes away.

btw, Bed bugs are on the prowl everywhere in the past few years. They get in the mattress and come out to feed on a warm body. Washing the sheets doesn't stop them. There are indicator traps that help diagnose if there is an infestation that needs treating.

Bed bugs have been able to infest even the cleanest homes. They are real pests.

jinga 11-10-2012 09:36 PM

Niacin pill

Mark - where do i get a Niacin Pill ?? Is this a script or OTC. never heard of it.

I dont beleive there are actual bugs but the sensation

I have experienced this on\off over the last year. Many articles call it a sensory hallucination of sorts linked to the central nervous system. I don't believe any of my docs are that sophisticated to know the cause so I will mostly likely here it is stress related.

sospan 11-11-2012 04:00 AM

Sometimes I feel that there is something on my skin, when I look it is just some fine hair getting charged up either through static or stress.

Removing any fine hair may help

Mark in Idaho 11-11-2012 12:28 PM

jinga,

Here in the states, niacin is available over the counter, no prescription or any limitations. Maybe you can order it online. I have been taking it for 30 years.

It is also called Vit B-3. There are high potency versions that are by prescription but there is no need for them. Normal niacin is fine. No need to get 'reduced flush' or ' slow release. '

I'll be offline until late tomorrow. I'll check back then.

My best to all.

Neurobrain2000 11-11-2012 12:33 PM

Cinnamon on your legs

Some doctor reccomend to use cinnamon on the legs to relieve the sensation.

jinga 11-12-2012 08:46 PM

the sansation is not just the legs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neurobrain2000 (Post 930570)
Some doctor reccomend to use cinnamon on the legs to relieve the sensation.

I have experiences the sensation all over - Cinnamon? That would make quite a mess in the bed. I dont seem to have the sensation unless trying to sleep at night. It is intermittent so not every night but when I do feel it I cannot get to sleep for a while

Ljohnson6 09-07-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinga (Post 930429)
I am wondering if anyone who has suffered a mtbi\head injury ever experienced the sensation of bugs crawling on you at night . I experienced this at various times in the last year.

I do not have pets, change bedding often and do not feel this when i take a nap during the day or on some nights or during the day so that would suggest the feeling is not based on an actual bug but the sensations that feel like bugs crawling. I have googled several times and there are theories all around on casues. Some point to stress\depression others to parathesis or neurologic based causes.

I dont have bite marks or anything but sometimes it will cause me to reach down and scratch my ankle leg or chest area etc... Then the feeling appears in a different area

I have seen this is also seen in some head injury patients. I am somewhat reluctant to bring it to my docs attention as everything under the sun seems to be depression and anxiety but I never experienced this until after my accident and like I said it is intermittent. When I feel this way it is diffucult to fall or stay a sleep. I have many other sleepless or little sleep nights where I do not feel this sensation.

Called Formication. I to have been diagnosed with Post Concussive Syndrome and seems these symptoms have increased over time.
It is intermittent for me as well.