NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Dentist and MG (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/179648-dentist-mg.html)

rogerm213 11-13-2012 10:12 AM

Dentist and MG

Are there any special concerns I should know about for dentist visits. I have an appt for a cleaning next week and was wondering if I need to do anything special before hand. Should I call ahead and warn them and tell them what medications I am taking? One other issue that may need to be mentioned is my platelet count is also in the toilet so perhaps I should put off the appt until that is back where it needs to be.

alice md 11-13-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerm213 (Post 931062)
Are there any special concerns I should know about for dentist visits. I have an appt for a cleaning next week and was wondering if I need to do anything special before hand. Should I call ahead and warn them and tell them what medications I am taking? One other issue that may need to be mentioned is my platelet count is also in the toilet so perhaps I should put off the appt until that is back where it needs to be.

I think it is always important to let any physician taking care of you know about any medical problems/ medications.
As to the platelet count, it depends how low it is and what the dentist is planning to do.

StephC 11-13-2012 04:52 PM

The mgfa website has good pamphlet pdf you can print and bring

hajile99 11-14-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephC (Post 931178)
The mgfa website has good pamphlet pdf you can print and bring

This is exactly what I did and the dentist was very thankful for it.

Although I do have a similar question. I'm scheduled to get a filling redone in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any issues with the Novocaine? What about use of a bite block? Does it help or make it worse?

suev 11-17-2012 09:47 PM

Bite Block definitely helps me. Let them know ahead of time you may need a break even with the block. I get tired of keeping my throat closed so I don't aspirate water (they never manage to get all of the water with the suction device)...so we have an agreement that when I signal with my hand they stop so I can sit up and swallow without choking!!

Just be upfront with them and don't hang on too long ... if you begin to feel any weariness in your jaw or throat - - raise your hand right away. A short break can help immensely.

The only time I had any issue with novocaine was when they did a front tooth. I felt like my nasal passages were swelling and closing down....but I don't actually think they were. I think it was my anxiety about it ... but still I was glad they left someone in the room with me while I 'numbed up'.