NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Sudden Dizziness/Loss of Vision (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/179739-sudden-dizziness-loss-vision.html)

hb1125 11-14-2012 06:14 PM

Sudden Dizziness/Loss of Vision

Hi everyone. I had my concussion on 10/22, and I haven't been feeling quite right since then. A little while ago, I was eating dinner when suddenly it felt like someone punched me in the back of my head, on the inside though, not the outside. I was really, really dizzy and couldn't see at all for a second. Then it stopped as quickly as it started. I feel tingly and shaky now, and I got a headache. I'm going to the neurologist 11/26, but I wanted to see if anyone knows what this was. I'm guessing it's concussion related since it's never happened before! Thanks for any information!

Chris4329 11-14-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hb1125 (Post 931554)
Hi everyone. I had my concussion on 10/22, and I haven't been feeling quite right since then. A little while ago, I was eating dinner when suddenly it felt like someone punched me in the back of my head, on the inside though, not the outside. I was really, really dizzy and couldn't see at all for a second. Then it stopped as quickly as it started. I feel tingly and shaky now, and I got a headache. I'm going to the neurologist 11/26, but I wanted to see if anyone knows what this was. I'm guessing it's concussion related since it's never happened before! Thanks for any information!

any MSG in the food? I almost passed out eating Pho at a Vietnamese restaurant recently. However; I did not get the "punch in the head" feeling. Also, this has happened to me prior to my accident...

Mark in Idaho 11-14-2012 07:09 PM

If this happens again, have someone note the symptoms as described in the FAST protocol at : http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServer?pagename=symp

If any symptoms are manifest, get to an ER as fast as possible. If someone can drive you directly, go with them. Otherwise, call an ambulance. Do not drive yourself.

The important issue is the quickness of getting treatment. Fast treatment can prevent a lot of damage.

In your case, you are well beyond this time period. I hope it was just a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) or something of short and non-damaging duration.

My best to you.

hb1125 11-14-2012 07:10 PM

The only thing that could have had msg was the salad dressing I marinated my chicken in, and I just checked and it didn't have any, but thank you for the idea! I also want to mention that I wasn't moving my head. Sometimes I get dizzy when I move my head quickly, but I was still. It was very strange!

hb1125 11-14-2012 07:28 PM

That's scary! I'm hoping it was TIA too or something else! I'll definitely take note of my symptoms. Thank you for the information!

rmschaver 11-14-2012 09:00 PM

I get spikes of pain in my head also. They are of short duration but it can feel as though a searing hot spike goes thru my head. It can be during a headache or not. There does not seem to be a trigger or pattern to mine. I have had one TIA but it was accompanied by the worst headache I have ever had.

peacheysncream 11-17-2012 05:03 PM

It sounds to me as if some blood vessels burst in your brain. It sounds awful but is very common. The trouble is if it happens when you are driving or doing something that would endanger you.
It doesn't normally show up on a CT scan because the vessels are so small.

You must go to a doctor today and tell them your symptoms because they may wish to check the pressure in your brain or do a CT. The pressure check will tell them if there is any bleeding going on PC. The CT will rule out a bleed.

If you feel numbness or tingling on one side of your body, or you lose consciousness, have difficulty swallowing, breathing or talking you must go to hospital immediately.

The pain is an indicator something is wrong, listen to your body and take it seriously.

Theta Z 11-17-2012 08:16 PM

Previous thread discussion 2010 on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hb1125 (Post 931554)
"... A little while ago, I was eating dinner when suddenly it felt like someone punched me in the back of my head, on the inside though, not the outside. I was really, really dizzy and couldn't see at all for a second. Then it stopped as quickly as it started. I feel tingly and shaky now, ..."

hb,

Here is a link to a previous 2010 NeuroTalk thread discussion of experiences perhaps similar to your own.

I still experience it from time to time, albeit rarely of late, thank goodness.

Like you, I last experienced it while having dinner at a friend's home. Highly disturbing. Neurologist (:mad:) a few years ago couldn't actually determine what it was nor the cause; he wrote it off as "migrainous", handed me a couple sample bottles of Topomax and a Rx for same. BTW topomax was not good med for me.

I hope that you have someone nearby to keep an eye on you.
Take good care and do take it easy.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...943#post655943