NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Bowen Therapy vs. Osteopathy Vs. Other therapies (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/17988-bowen-therapy-vs-osteopathy-vs-therapies.html)

Aussie99 04-20-2007 06:56 PM

Bowen Therapy vs. Osteopathy Vs. Other therapies

Hi Matey's!

I have been looking into getting some body work done, as I seem to have developed a co-condition with my PN. I have developed wide spread muscle/tissue pain. I also have what appears to be masses of tissue at certain areas that when touch radiate pain to other araes.

Neuro follow-up said sound exactly like FM.

There has been no diagnosis per say as I only got 10 minutes with the neuro before I was rushed out as usual.

In any case, I have been looking into various therapies and have made appointment with Osteopath. I wanted to have a go at Bowen therapy but was a bit afraid because I read that it reprograms your ANS and my ANS was comprimised and I wasn't certain this would be safe for me, as my ANS was overshooting.

Does anyone have any opinions? I know Brian you like Bowen, and I have other friends who say it's great. But what about people who have had ANS problems?

Thanks

Brian 04-21-2007 02:52 AM

Hi Aussie, i come across this in my travels, it talks about ANS & Fibromyalgia.
http://www.thebowentechnique.com/content/research.htm

Brian :)

Aussie99 04-21-2007 07:26 PM

Thanks Brian

I get the feeling that Bowen is not yet practised up in America too much. But everyone here seems to know someone or has had it at some stage. I have gotten really good feedback from people that it has helped them more than other therapies.

I have made an appointment with the osteopath already, so I might just have a go of that first, and then look into Bowen as an alternative.

At the end of the day it's all about relief!

Anyways matey, how is the hip coming along? How is the mobility?

dahlek 04-21-2007 09:42 PM

It is,to a limited degree...

I think, as is reflexologoly [sp?], accupressure, myofascial, and trigger-point therapies.

Think hard Aussie, are you or have you been less active in the last, say 2-3 months? IF I've gotten my whole pt/muscle action -use or lose stuff correct, well, you are probably really hurting because you've done less for a while, then tried to do more, as if you'd not had a 'lay-up' for a bit. Doesn't work that way. Muscles lose tone, tendons get tighter and pull from the lack of use, thus elasticity. Then every muscle around the 'bad' spots tries to compensate then, a bigger and even bigger area of muscle/tissues are affected. Try it. It's either gonna work or make you yelp. If you yelp!, then things have been, well, overdone in some way.

Here's a good site full of basic, simple, almost stupid things that help you keep some tone, and function. They're pretty passive, so you start out slow and work up in little bits...DON't try to do the full # of reps at first, do ten one day, then 15, on up...or you will HURT!
http://www.fairview.org/healthlibrar.../sma_index.htm

Try them and see....I've got sources and stuff about cheap 'tools' [I am cheap about some stuff!] so you don't have to spend a fortune on equipment.

Hope this helps? SUPER good thoughts to you, good person! - j

PS: Aussie's right, HOW are you doing?

Brian 04-21-2007 11:11 PM

Aussie & Dahlek, i am going great these days & thanks for asking :),no pain, no limp, doing lots of physio exercises but its really fantastic, mostly walking unaided but have a walking stick if i need it, but most of the time i leave it home anyway, i keep on pinching myself to see if i am dreaming or not :D :D.
& wishing you both, lots of pain free days to come :)
Brian

Silverlady 04-22-2007 09:42 AM

Late getting in

Wow Brian!

What great news. I'm so glad you haven't had any complications. Time to go dancing right!!??

Dalek, thanks for a great site for the muscle information. Also a great site for other things.

Billye

Brian 04-22-2007 11:24 AM

Thanks Billye, its a lot better than i even expected it would be.
take care

Aussie99 04-22-2007 04:31 PM

Thanks J-

You are correct in what you say. I know that using something you haven't in a long time can cause a big disruption in the way your body moves and functions.

Thankfully that hasn't been the case with me though. For the last 5 months I have established a regular exercise routine,and since January have lost a fair amount of weight too.

I think it may have something to do with my bronchitis this past February,as I had an intense increase in symtoms as the bronchitis was resolving. But afterwards the muscular skeletal pain set in. Well today I am seeing the Osteopath, so wish me luck on that.:)

Brian,
It's good to hear you have been going well. I hope you continue to heal and be pain free!

Brian 04-25-2007 01:36 AM

Aussie, just wondering how did the Osteopath appointment go, any relief ?

Aussie99 04-25-2007 07:48 PM

Thanks for asking B

Well it was a very short 10 minute session ofneck massaging. Reason being that he spent about 40 minutes taking my medical history as it refered to my back and kneck. he did say this was a very long history for a young person. As I have been hosptalised on a number of occasions because of my back.

The massage was really light, and nice while it lasted. I am seeing him again this Saturday and will have a whole treatment. Whatever that means, I am not sure as yet.

I hope it's not just a light massage again as this is costing $90 for 50 minutes. Also this is not covered by medicare so I will be out of pocket for these treatments.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and have "one full treatment", per say... to see what he really offers,as I am not willing to pay that much money for a nancy massage! LOL:D