NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Shortness of Breath (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/180121-shortness-breath.html)

BreathingProblems 11-23-2012 08:09 PM

Shortness of Breath

I have had two concussions, and since the last concussion, which was 8 years ago, I have been having trouble breathing. It is a shortness of breath that feels as though I need to yawn, and turns into a gasp for air. I am not impaired in any way from actually breathing, I am getting plenty of air through my passage way, it just feels as though I cannot breathe.

When the episodes take effect they can last for months and vary day to day in severity and how often the gasping happens. The episodes can also stop all together for weeks or months at a time with no problems at all.

I have noticed that the problems happen when the weather is fluctuating, not like allergies, because I have none, but such as humidity and rain, then to dry and clear skies, in a weeks period, where I live this happens the beginning of spring, end of summer. However I am currently having troubles breathing and it started 3 days ago.

It does not affect my sleep.

I have headaches, rarely migraines, but much of the time, medication will not take care of the pain.

If anyone knows what it may be that would be great, also I am not sure about any other side effects that I may be having because they may not be as annoying, if you want to know if I have one just ask.

Thank you in advance.

Mark in Idaho 11-23-2012 08:49 PM

Some people experience problems that appear to be tied to changes in barometric pressure. Barometric pressure is know to aggravate problems with inflammation.

When I have my problems with involuntarily holding my breath, I notice similar symptoms. It is not like I am pursing my lips and holding my breath. It is just that my breathing gets very shallow. I can lay in bed and hear my wife breathing twice as often as me.

For me, it can be caused by my neck position or stress. I frequently have a symptom called postural rigidity where I tense my abdominal muscles and thoracic muscles. This causes me to not breath properly.

Sometimes, I end up so out of breath that I gasp and feel like I can't catch my breath no matter how hard I try to breath. When this happens, it help if I try to relay, maybe stretch my upper body, and take some more slow deep breaths. Fortunately, I have learned to recognize this earlier so I don't get to the gasping point much anymore.

Hope you can figure out your situation.

My best to you.