NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   facial numbness (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/180847-facial-numbness.html)

worried12378 12-10-2012 12:33 PM

facial numbness

hi,

just wondering if any of you people also deal with facial numbness sometimes even coordination problems? i thought i was getting better but then i had a relapse last saturday and the new set of symptoms began. Like this weird facial numbness (mainly my cheeks feel almost permanently numb), weakness, coordination problems, and feeling totally out of it? I am getting really frustrated about this whole pcs thing, had ct´s, mri´s, eeg´s, ekg´s, even heart echo, and the list go on. I would never of thought that this can get so serious:(

thedude58 12-10-2012 03:41 PM

No facial numbness but I get numb on the top of my thigh and sometimes a burning sensation. Have you tried the headinjury website? I found it very informative. Just a thought.

peacheysncream 12-10-2012 03:55 PM

Dear worried,
The relapse and all the wonderful symptoms it brings with it are very typical of overdoing it. You may need to pull back a little for a while. Listen to your body, take note of headaches,dizzy spells etc these are telling you that you must remember that you have still got PCS.
I know its annoying and I sympathise but accept your new way of life and treat your body with TLC.

As for facial numbness I am afraid you need to return to your doctor. It can be normal for a while but if its only just shown up as a new symptom then it is probably a new brain development. It could simply be structural to do with nerves or muscles moving, but get checked out.

Take care and let us know what happens.

Mark in Idaho 12-10-2012 04:09 PM

worried, Google cranial nerves. It sounds like you may have inflammation of a cranial nerve. The cranial nerve chart can help you discover what nerve and where the inflammation might be. The area of numbness will point back to the nerve effected.

As I have mentioned many times before. Upper neck injuries can cause a myriad of PCS problems. If the doctors are not looking at the upper neck closely enough, they don't find the problem.

Neuro-orthopedic surgeons who have special expertise in the upper neck can possibly get the right imaging done.

My best to you.

rmschaver 12-10-2012 07:45 PM

Mark makes an excellent point. For me the most relief I received was from Myofascial release therapy. I only wish it would have happened sooner.

worried12378 12-11-2012 11:44 AM

thanks 4 the advice every1 i also had 2 of my right back teeth (one upper and one lower) extracted 10 days ago could this be related to the facial numbness? i guess i have to contact my neuro/dentist again.:confused:

katmae 12-11-2012 08:37 PM

numbness

Quote:

Originally Posted by worried12378 (Post 938633)
thanks 4 the advice every1 i also had 2 of my right back teeth (one upper and one lower) extracted 10 days ago could this be related to the facial numbness? i guess i have to contact my neuro/dentist again.:confused:

I hope it is just having your teeth pulled that is making you numb, and I do hope that you get to feeling better:hug:

katmae 12-12-2012 10:17 AM

Good morning

Good morning worried,I hope that you are feeling better today,have a good one:hug:

worried12378 12-13-2012 05:07 AM

hi went to doctor, he said in this case these are probably neck related problems. have a couple of other tests to do ahead of me.

katmae 12-13-2012 09:37 AM

tests

Quote:

Originally Posted by worried12378 (Post 939127)
hi went to doctor, he said in this case these are probably neck related problems. have a couple of other tests to do ahead of me.

Good morning worried,I hope with the tests that they can help you:hug::hug: