NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Headache (https://www.neurotalk.org/headache/)
-   -   cervicogenic headaches - topamax (https://www.neurotalk.org/headache/181054-cervicogenic-headaches-topamax.html)

judiesva 12-14-2012 01:04 PM

cervicogenic headaches - topamax

Hello All-

I've been on the neuropthy forum for a few months now and decided to check out the headache forum too. I've suffered from migraine since I was 18 (now 51) but have been lucky in recent years to have sumatriptin work for me. However, the past several of years they have been getting worse. Tried several rounds of botox this summer which made them worse. Started topamax this week. I linked on to a site that Dr Smith reccomended and saw info about cervicogenic headaches which I definitly have. I'm not sure how these trigger a full blown migraine but they seem to do. Any suggestions on how to try and minimize these headaches? I get a severe migraine with any excerise and when the weather changes. Use to get them with hormonal changes but am now on a patch so hormones dont seem to be a trigger now.

Thanks!

Judie

Peter B 12-15-2012 11:04 PM

Migraine

One option that has a good success rate is a magnesium supplement. If you do some online research, you will find a lot of advice.

I think it relaxes the blood vessels, but haven't read up on it lately.

I take it for muscles spasms and soreness, and it works wonders.

I was getting chronic headaches, not migraines, and it was from tight muscles pulling on the head.

As with a lot of things, there may be multiple causes and treatments. Never easy, though magnesium may be.

judiesva 12-16-2012 01:13 PM

Hello Peter-

Thanks for your response. I have been taking magnesium for about 5 years so in my case it has not helped either my neuropathy or headaches. I was hoping maybe someone on here has had blocks, acupuncture...I'm willing!!!

Judie

Peter B 12-17-2012 07:24 AM

Magnesium

What a shame Judie, though I'm glad you were advised to try it.
I seem to think it has about a 50% success rate.

Doloresm1965 06-08-2013 01:00 PM

hope to help..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter B (Post 939828)
One option that has a good success rate is a magnesium supplement. If you do some online research, you will find a lot of advice.

I think it relaxes the blood vessels, but haven't read up on it lately.

I take it for muscles spasms and soreness, and it works wonders.

I was getting chronic headaches, not migraines, and it was from tight muscles pulling on the head.

As with a lot of things, there may be multiple causes and treatments. Never easy, though magnesium may be.

The one thing that helps me a liitle is a heating pad..

Dr. Smith 06-08-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judiesva (Post 939524)
Hello All-

I've been on the neuropthy forum for a few months now and decided to check out the headache forum too. I've suffered from migraine since I was 18 (now 51) but have been lucky in recent years to have sumatriptin work for me. However, the past several of years they have been getting worse. Tried several rounds of botox this summer which made them worse. Started topamax this week. I linked on to a site that Dr Smith reccomended and saw info about cervicogenic headaches which I definitly have. I'm not sure how these trigger a full blown migraine but they seem to do. Any suggestions on how to try and minimize these headaches? I get a severe migraine with any excerise and when the weather changes. Use to get them with hormonal changes but am now on a patch so hormones dont seem to be a trigger now.

Thanks!

Judie

Hi Judie,

I've been off for a while, so I didn't see this until today....
Take a look at this I posted a few days ago. Hope there's something there that may help.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post988912-2.html

Best wishes,

Doc