NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   That headache (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/181522-headache.html)

Peter11 12-26-2012 10:54 AM

That headache

Hi guys i hope you are all well. Just a post about my only symptom.. The headache and neck pain. I have had pcs for 4 months... All my other symptoms have subsided but im still left with a debilitating headache that varies with intensity during the day. Any tips advice or wisdom on this???? Im also thinking that my symptoms may be due to neck pain?? And once i cure that the headache will go away??

Thoughts..

SillyRugger 12-26-2012 06:35 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. 2, almost 3 months, and now I'm just getting headaches. I'm thinking of trying a chiropractor or massage therapist this week.

Mark in Idaho 12-26-2012 10:08 PM

Have you tried icing yet?

Virginia in Canada 12-26-2012 11:20 PM

Hi Peter,

Have you gotten any treatment for your neck pain?

I had whiplash many years ago and had a headache for about 2 months until the physio and massage therapy improved my neck problems. No concussion or PCS at that time.

I've had a headache since my car accident on Oct 9th. It is improving - partly with ice and with physio and massage therapy. It still gets worse when I am overstimulated or tired.

Hope something works for you soon.

Peter11 12-26-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia in Canada (Post 942484)
Hi Peter,

Have you gotten any treatment for your neck pain?

I had whiplash many years ago and had a headache for about 2 months until the physio and massage therapy improved my neck problems. No concussion or PCS at that time.

I've had a headache since my car accident on Oct 9th. It is improving - partly with ice and with physio and massage therapy. It still gets worse when I am overstimulated or tired.

Hope something works for you soon.

Hi all.. I went to the chiro about a month ago.. Got x rays... My c1 and c2 are out of alignment i have been getting manipulated 3x a week since then... Some improvement but its barley noticable.. Where do i go here???

Mark in Idaho 12-27-2012 02:49 AM

Have you tried icing your neck? Especially after a chiro adjustment.

Chiro 3 x a week sounds like a bit much, especially if you are not seeing a dramatic improvement after 4 weeks x 3.

If your chiro is not telling you to ice after an adjustment, he is missing the most important part. You need to decrease the inflammation if you want the misalignment to heal.

Mark in Idaho 12-27-2012 02:54 AM

rugger,

You said "I've mostly cleared up except for an occasional headache, noise-sensitivity, and inability to exercise. I cannot handle crowds or stress."

Noise sensitivity, crowds and stress are some serious concussion symptoms to still have and claim "I've mostly cleared up."

What symptoms have cleared up?

I wonder if the other girl intended to spear tackle you. If you were a moving target, it would be more a consequence of luck.

Peter11 12-27-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 942514)
Have you tried icing your neck? Especially after a chiro adjustment.

Chiro 3 x a week sounds like a bit much, especially if you are not seeing a dramatic improvement after 4 weeks x 3.

If your chiro is not telling you to ice after an adjustment, he is missing the most important part. You need to decrease the inflammation if you want the misalignment to heal.

Hi mark.... I have noticed slight improvement... It us a fairly long process... My neck is a fair way out of alignment... Most likely from skateboarding lots of sport poor posture combined with my injury... And yes i do ice after treatment.. And daily.. What do you think of heat packs??? It is a long process to realign the neck but i am confident that once i get it aligned the headaches will at least subside

Eowyn 12-27-2012 12:59 PM

I had a similar situation. What helped was a combination of things.

The first thing that helped was vision therapy.

I got on a headache preventive medication. The first one I tried was elavil (amitriptyline), and then I switched to topamax (topiramate), which I still take.

I had therapy to strengthen and align my neck.

I stopped taking painkiller medications including tylenol, hydrocodone, and imitrex, all of which can cause rebound headaches.

Finally, I switched to a whole foods vegan diet high in omega-3s and tryptophan. This reduced inflammation throughout my body. I also helped kick-start the reduced inflammation with hydrotherapy and algal DHA/EPA. At this point, my headaches finally disappeared for good. I still eat vegan but no longer do hydrotherapy or the algal supplements.

I have been headache free for eight months now, after nearly 18 months with serious migraine-like headaches.

Mark in Idaho 12-27-2012 10:04 PM

Peter, What are you doing to maintain proper neck position between adjustments? Sleep is a big problem while the neck heals and strengthens. Also, posture while sitting and reading or using a computer is important. Try to learn to turn at the shoulders to minimize neck twisting.

Are the chiro neck adjustments gentle or aggressive? Is there a pop ?