NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   First Flu with PCS.. is this normal? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/181667-flu-pcs-normal.html)

SmilinEyesMs305 12-30-2012 10:58 AM

First Flu with PCS.. is this normal?

Needing some advice from some long term PCSers.

I am at 22 months post injury. Ater a year and a half of PT, vestibular therapy, vision therapy and medications, I was able to start back to grad school for two classes last semester and was starting to get some parts of my old life back. It was a struggle, but I finally felt like I was getting somewhere.

This week, I was in the ER for a stomach virus. Thankfully I was given an IV for liquids and then given meds to stop the intestinal problems that were keeping me from staying hydrated.

A few days later, I'm no longer feeling the lower intestinal symptoms. However, I feel like I did a few weeks post accident where if I moved at all or got off the couch/bed, I felt really disoriented and nauseous. (I am not dehydrated any more, as I have been drinking liquids and I'm functioning normally in that department).

Is this a setback due to the compounding TBI? Or a side effect of the flu that I had? I'm really worried. Has anyone else experienced this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mindy

MommaBear 12-31-2012 12:19 AM

I'm betting you'll feel stronger and much better in another few days or so. I recently had both an acute bronchitis (thank goodness not the flu) and a nasty little cold. I don't even have a brain injury (my son does) but it knocked me for a loop for a couple of weeks before I started feeling somewhat normal and could concentrate on studies or thinking about anything. December was pretty much a bust for me. Give yourself some more time and lots of rest, it's pretty early still.

Mark in Idaho 12-31-2012 01:25 AM

Any illness can cause a return of concussion symptoms. A week or so of quiet rest with good nutrition should make a difference.

My best to you.

MaryinIA 12-31-2012 03:20 PM

When I get a cough or cold, it knocks me down harder than normally. It does take about a week or so to get back to "normal". It's kind of like my body doesn't have any reserves to deal with anything else.

Eowyn 01-02-2013 12:58 PM

This is happening to me, too. I am nearly 2 years post-injury.

The norovirus made a round through our family during Christmas. We were all down for about 24 hours with it.

Now I am having (mild, thank goodness) PCS-type headaches again and mild nausea, even though all my stomach virus symptoms have cleared up.

At least it's mild enough that I can keep moving, but I find I'm having to rest more than usual and just "take things easy" again where I didn't necessarily have to before.

Those reserves are just gone! Wonder if we ever get them back?

SmilinEyesMs305 01-02-2013 04:46 PM

Eowyn- that's my worry. Do we get them back? Does it take forever??

I'm supposed to start classes again in a week, one of which is going to involve working with children 10 hours a week. Before this flu, I thought it would be a rough start, but that I'd adjust after a few weeks, but now I can't even imagine driving to class, let alone the practicum portion :(

I had taken two courses last semester, (I'm still not working). It was exhausting, but I felt like I was accomplishing something. Now? Even the one class and the 10 hours a week seems like more than I can handle. I hope I feel better in a week....

Toddwriter 01-02-2013 09:25 PM

I too have faced the flu and bronchitis this week — and can feel how a power drain anywhere in my body triggers a return of PCS symptoms — take good care.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmilinEyesMs305 (Post 943203)
Needing some advice from some long term PCSers.

I am at 22 months post injury. Ater a year and a half of PT, vestibular therapy, vision therapy and medications, I was able to start back to grad school for two classes last semester and was starting to get some parts of my old life back. It was a struggle, but I finally felt like I was getting somewhere.

This week, I was in the ER for a stomach virus. Thankfully I was given an IV for liquids and then given meds to stop the intestinal problems that were keeping me from staying hydrated.

A few days later, I'm no longer feeling the lower intestinal symptoms. However, I feel like I did a few weeks post accident where if I moved at all or got off the couch/bed, I felt really disoriented and nauseous. (I am not dehydrated any more, as I have been drinking liquids and I'm functioning normally in that department).

Is this a setback due to the compounding TBI? Or a side effect of the flu that I had? I'm really worried. Has anyone else experienced this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mindy