NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Accupuncture for neuropathy?! (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/181797-accupuncture-neuropathy.html)

Stacy2012 01-02-2013 10:17 PM

Accupuncture for neuropathy?!

My husband came home tonight and said one of his clients told him that accupuncture was a miracle for her neuropathy and has all but cured her as long as she maintains it.

Anyone ever heard of this or tried it????

Of course I am completely skeptical, doesn't seem to make sense but this was her testimony.

Stacy2012 01-03-2013 12:28 AM

Actually, I just googled it and it appears there are studies, and lots of info on accupuncture helping neuropathy.

I may have to look into this.

Years and years ago I had a mortons neuroma on my right foot and before I gave into surgery on the foot to remove it, I did accupuncture. It worked. Three times a week I would do it and it helped and even shrunk the neuroma. However it only worked as long as I went every single week, which got very expensive and I could not afford to do it for the rest of my life so I did surgery. When I did it, they put the needles in my head, knee, ankle and right near the toe where the neuroma was.

Anyway, very interesting....anyone here try it?

Sallysblooms 01-03-2013 03:35 PM

It is always good to try safe alternatives. Everyone is different, but acupuncture is good for so many things.

malawigirl08 01-03-2013 06:51 PM

I tried acupuncture and it worked for a few months and then just like drugs the pain found its way back. My doctor showed me where to put the needles and I frequently do this myself.
It's worth a try but not if it going to cost lots IMHO.

APJH 01-04-2013 09:40 AM

I have been going for weekly acupuncture sessions for the past 5 weeks. It takes the edge off the pain only slightly, but I find it very soothing and relaxing. I go Saturday mornings and I am relaxed for the rest of the day. That can't hurt, right? :)

Stacy2012 01-04-2013 09:43 AM

So does the accupuncture help with the burning at all for you???

It can't hurt to try. Most of the research I read talks about it helping with the numbness but I need help with the burn.

mg neck prob 01-04-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacy2012 (Post 944042)
My husband came home tonight and said one of his clients told him that accupuncture was a miracle for her neuropathy and has all but cured her as long as she maintains it.

Anyone ever heard of this or tried it????

Of course I am completely skeptical, doesn't seem to make sense but this was her testimony.

I dont know but i think Im going to try it for eye twitching try to get it to stop. Its been going on over a month driving me crazy. I just read yesterday some lady on line had 7 months eye twiching did accupunture and it stopped. Will let u know results plus I have muscle twiches in bicep ever since neck surgery ---try to see if that may help it too. Im always skeptical but conventional medicine isnt working so I will try it. I just have to research a good one in my area.How expensive is it normally??

DrAwkward 01-04-2013 10:23 AM

Acupuncture not covered by my insurance co

I too would like to try acupuncture to see if it would help but my insurance company says it is not a covered service. At $80.00+ per visit that won't be happening soon unless the insurance co changes its mind.
Seems to me it would be reasonable for them to allow me to try it and have them pay for it rather than pay monthly visits to a neurologist and the prescription costs that go along with it but they said no.
DOC

Sallysblooms 01-04-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

I dont know but i think Im going to try it for eye twitching try to get it to stop.
mg neck, do you take enough magnesium? That is what works for eye and muscle twitches really well.

mg neck prob 01-04-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sallysblooms (Post 944455)
mg neck, do you take enough magnesium? That is what works for eye and muscle twitches really well.

No -- Thanks for the suggestion!! Its funny I just read that online yesterday and my brother told me 2 --it was on Dr. Oz show this week that 3 out of 4 people are deficent in magesium ---I will look into buying some this weekend is there a certain daily dosage rec ?? I appreciate the advice.:)