NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Knee Spasticity? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/181862-knee-spasticity.html)

Keely 01-03-2013 10:09 PM

Knee Spasticity?

Happy New Year, everyone! I haven't posted in a while, but I visit quite often, and I've gotten a lot of help (and strength) from the posts here!

I wanted to ask: Does anyone here suffer from spasticity in their knee?

I was diagnosed with MS in 2008, and my main problems with spasticity occurred some years ago in my hands. Since then, I haven't really any spasticity problems except for regular--and annoying!--foot cramps.

In recent months, however, I get spells where my right knee feels incredibly wobbly--as if the knee cap were floating or getting detached--and then I have severe pain when trying to bend my knee. This lasts for several days, and during that time it can get so bad that I can't walk.

Bending or stretching the knee out hurts and is difficult to do. I've never had an injury or arthritis there, so I'm wondering if this is another episode of spasticity. I've Googled "knee spasticity" and apparently there is such a beast!

I'd love to hear if anyone else out there has had this--and if so, what do you do for it? Thanks, everybody!

SallyC 01-04-2013 12:11 PM

Hi Keely, welcome back..:hug:

I have the problem with my knee locking, once in awhile. I notice that it happens when I'm stressed out.:eek: It is very painful. If I sit, take a deep breath and relax for a few minutes, it usually eases up.

Debbie D 01-04-2013 03:24 PM

Huh...my knees are arthritic, so I can't say my probs are from MS...keep an eye on it...:hug:

Mariel 01-06-2013 02:23 AM

You might try some magnesium. It's what I use for spasticity and I've used it for over 25 years after a good neuro prescribed it. I take about 1000 mg a day, a high dose. My whole leg can go spastic without it, from hip to foot, day or night. It's tricky to get the right dose because it can cause diarrhea. Ask your neuro about it, maybe he is smart like that one I had in San Diego.

Shadiyah 01-07-2013 04:27 PM

I know that I have had sharp pain shoot threw my knee and it can last all day on and off.

Keely 01-07-2013 05:44 PM

Sally, Debbie, Shadiyah and Mariel--thanks for the replies!

The knee is still weak and bothering me, but I only get these spells sporadically--around every few months. My knee cap feels wobbly and it hurts like "h" to straighten my leg! I'm just curious as to whether it's spasticity or not, especially since I've never had any arthritis, inflammation or injury there.

While I don't generally have spasticity issues, I am a huge sufferer of those dreaded myoclonic jerks. I've been prescribed Tegretol, which works to some extent, but I hate taking the stuff! But it's better to take it then to have my body keep jack-knifing all night long...

Debbie D 01-07-2013 08:43 PM

I would propose also it could be neuropathic pain...that is something I experience occasionally over various areas...I suppose the knees could get it also...

Keely 01-07-2013 08:57 PM

Debbie, you may be on to something there. I have severe neuropathic pain in my other leg; it's so severe that I have to have pain meds every night. The neuropathic pain has gone on for years, and has been gradually increasing so that now it encompasses my entire leg and foot.

The only thing is that this is an entirely different kind of pain in my knee. The neuropathic pain in my left leg is a severe, almost intolerable burning, whereas the knee pain (in my right leg) feels as if my knee were dislocated; it painfully locks up on me. Luckily it doesn't last more than a couple of weeks at a time, but it's pretty darn disabling when it does occur. That's why I wondered whether or not it's spasticity...