NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   edgelow kit (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/181883-edgelow-kit.html)

Iris 01-04-2013 08:14 AM

edgelow kit

Hi, several people have asked for the info on how to purchase the kit. you can call medical dynamics in rohnert park, california. 800 945 0302. The whole kit is about 333 dollars. I bought everything except for the ball and the ball was 23.95.

stos2 01-04-2013 11:03 AM

I would also suggest getting a soft 6 inch by 36 " foam roller instead of the one that comes with the kit. The one that I use is the pro roller soft from OTPT. They are also available on Amazon and have a marbled look. The foam roller and the gymnastic ball are part of the progression exercises.
But, I would also like to add that you don't have to buy the whole kit, you can start with the core program first.

For beginners, the most important elements of the core program, are..
1. DVD,
2. Booklet
3. Manual blood pressure meter with cuff ( one can buy this at any pharmacy)
4. Pinky ball on the stick ( can be found at therapists or online)
5. Air pillow.
The CD is not really necessary, though his voice is very soothing and you can order it if you want or substitute with any soft music or ocean sound or anything that is relaxing.

Make sure you have a therapist to guide you, it looks easy, but professional guidance would be helpful. Have your therapist have a look at the booklet and DVD before you begin. There is this whole philosophy in the booklet that one has to understand to follow his protocol. Only when and if you can master the core program it's worth getting the props needed for the progression exercises.

I honestly use his core program in conjunction with my other exercises given to me by Dr. Art Ando. Please don't substitute the Edgelow protocol for whatever is working for you right now, may it be manual therapy and /or exercises, but rather let it compliment whatever you are already doing. that's the way it works best for me. I still do the edgelow core program every single day, before I start my other exercises.

Iris 01-05-2013 05:26 PM

I completely agree. My PT incorporated it into my program.

stos2 01-06-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iris (Post 944865)
I completely agree. My PT incorporated it into my program.

Iris, I am so glad that your PT believes in it. It really works best with manual PT and other exercises that your PT might have given you.

I wish Peter had recognized the need for manual PT along with his protocol. Once I started manual PT with another therapist, his protocol started working for me.

parbie 01-06-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stos2 (Post 945075)
Iris, I am so glad that your PT believes in it. It really works best with manual PT and other exercises that your PT might have given you.

I wish Peter had recognized the need for manual PT along with his protocol. Once I started manual PT with another therapist, his protocol started working for me.

I completely agree with Stos2. I think the Edgelow program should def be incorporated with manual therapy. By the way, stos2, I am back in the bay area! Have been meaning to update my thread and will do so asap. Are you still seeing the therapist in Dublin or only Art Ando in SoCal? How are you doing now?

stos2 01-07-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parbie (Post 945208)
I completely agree with Stos2. I think the Edgelow program should def be incorporated with manual therapy. By the way, stos2, I am back in the bay area! Have been meaning to update my thread and will do so asap. Are you still seeing the therapist in Dublin or only Art Ando in SoCal? How are you doing now?

Hi parbie, so good to hear from you and good to know you are back in the Bay Area. I am actually seeing a CFMT in Palo Alto about twice a month. Still doing Art's exercises and Peter's core program. I am doing much better, I am 70 to 80 percent better I think.
How are you feeling now? Are you seeing Susan Casto?

jkl626 01-07-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parbie (Post 945208)

Hi Parbie and Stos,Happy New Year! Parbie how are you feeling since the surgery? Do you think the pec minor tenomoty helped you? I think I am going to finally order the edgelow kit. I am still having issues mostly shoulder and hand pain and numbness and still seeing Dr. Ando, I have also started seeing ken the massage therapist at Ando and Aston and he is great-myofacial release and rolfing teechnique mostly. I am kind of at a plateau-not getting better enough. I am going today for more trigger point injections and will be making an appt soon with Dr. Jordan to talk about a nerve block. Keep in touch-
JKL

stos2 01-08-2013 11:28 AM

Happy 2013! Jkl626, when you reach a plateau, no matter how comfortable it is, is when you need to search for another road.
My local therapist, the first one I went to for myofascial release had said that the "Road to good health is not straight." That's what made me think of coming to Anaheim. Incorporate whatever helps you on the way and add whatever else you may need. What does Art say, is he recommending surgery? In my case the Stanford surgeon had sent me to Peter for couple weeks to see if he could help me. Peter is the one who had suggested a scalenectomy since I just couldn't do his breathing exercises without going into excruciating pain. Peter had worked with a lot of surgeons who removed ribs but didn't feel it was necessary if one could practice his protocol as it helps lower the first rib over time with his home exercise program.I am so glad I listened to him. Has Art been indicating anything or that you take any direction? jkl, I would suggest if you can come and learn it from Steve at Hayward, that would be your best option, and then follow the program at home. I beleive you have some family in the Bay Area.

stos2 01-08-2013 11:41 AM

Jkl, what are you trying to achieve with a nerve block? Just curious?? of course good luck with whatever you decide to do.

jkl626 01-08-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stos2 (Post 945579)
Happy 2013! Jkl626, when you reach a plateau, no matter how comfortable it is, is when you need to search for another road.
My local therapist, the first one I went to for myofascial release had said that the "Road to good health is not straight." That's what made me think of coming to Anaheim. Incorporate whatever helps you on the way and add whatever else you may need. What does Art say, is he recommending surgery? In my case the Stanford surgeon had sent me to Peter for couple weeks to see if he could help me. Peter is the one who had suggested a scalenectomy since I just couldn't do his breathing exercises without going into excruciating pain. Peter had worked with a lot of surgeons who removed ribs but didn't feel it was necessary if one could practice his protocol as it helps lower the first rib over time with his home exercise program.I am so glad I listened to him. Has Art been indicating anything or that you take any direction? jkl, I would suggest if you can come and learn it from Steve at Hayward, that would be your best option, and then follow the program at home. I beleive you have some family in the Bay Area.

Thank You Stos that is good advice and in the New Year I am planning to do that. Art does not recommend surgery. He thinks I am better, I think he wants to release me soon, i have been going for 8 months! He wants to release people when they are 80%, -and I am better maybe 60-70 % but just not enough for me-I have been having alot of pec minor and underarm pain and numbness and of course it changes every day so on days when the pain is bad it doesnt feel any better. I havent seen him for 3 weeks ( I saw James right after xmas) but I see him tomorrow and also get a massage.

i had Trigger pt injections yesterday and feel much better today-I have to note this time how long it lasts. My purpose in finding out about the nerve block is that Dr Jordan had recommended it to me at one time, and I havent seen him in a long time so I need to go back to him and tell him my progress and see what he recommends.. If it does what the Trigger points do but last longer then I might do it. He does radio frequency so that the block lasts longer-he says up to 6 months. The fact that the Trps help tho make me think it is more of a muscle issue than nerve so I am not sure.Dr J reccomends surgery if I want to go back to my regular work and I do. I will lose my health insurance if I dont. but I am not considering the surgery at this point.

Maybe I will plan a trip up there to see Steve.Do you think I can go ahead and order the kit anyway? I was going to try it on my own first. I have done some on my own already. Do the breathing exercises really lower the rib? Do you actually do it several times a day?

I am also looking for a pt and masseuse and maybe a new acupuncturist closer to home, Art has a colleague he studied with who is on the CMFT list and now that my insurance has kicked in again I will be trying some new therapies. I will keep you posted.