NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Cysts on spine (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/182392-cysts-spine.html)

joy1 01-14-2013 11:42 AM

Cysts on spine

Hi every one , just joined this forum and want to thank you for having me here.
I have had 4 MRI scans , first one showing cyst on lower tailbone , on the sack fluid , then 2 more further up on spine, as i am not in pain on the back , I was sent for MRI due to neck pain which I havent had back since 3 yrs ago .
Any way , they hospital have just wrote to me saying before I have my next MRI scan , which I have to have every year , Said we want you to go to your GP and get a blood test to make sure you are not at risk of renal impairment , well i thought why now , have they seen something , I havent slept well since getting the letter , so I get my blood tests Friday morning .
Has any of you gone through the same thing and what happened to you , Id love to read all your post and thank you Joy
Ps I also have cysts on Liver which don't cause a problem either

BetsyAnn 01-14-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joy1 (Post 947401)
Hi every one , just joined this forum and want to thank you for having me here.
I have had 4 MRI scans , first one showing cyst on lower tailbone , on the sack fluid , then 2 more further up on spine, as i am not in pain on the back , I was sent for MRI due to neck pain which I havent had back since 3 yrs ago .
Any way , they hospital have just wrote to me saying before I have my next MRI scan , which I have to have every year , Said we want you to go to your GP and get a blood test to make sure you are not at risk of renal impairment , well i thought why now , have they seen something , I havent slept well since getting the letter , so I get my blood tests Friday morning .
Has any of you gone through the same thing and what happened to you , Id love to read all your post and thank you Joy
Ps I also have cysts on Liver which don't cause a problem either

I don't know anything about the cysts, sorry, but I'm going to guess that your MRI will have a contrast agent used. They like to make sure your kidneys are fine before hand as people with kidney problems can have complications with the contrast agent.

If you normally have contrast injected with your annual MRI, I don't know why they would proceed differently but it could be a variety of things... however, it sounds to me like they are just wanting to keep up with proper protocol.

joy1 01-14-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetsyAnn (Post 947434)
I don't know anything about the cysts, sorry, but I'm going to guess that your MRI will have a contrast agent used. They like to make sure your kidneys are fine before hand as people with kidney problems can have complications with the contrast agent.

If you normally have contrast injected with your annual MRI, I don't know why they would proceed differently but it could be a variety of things... however, it sounds to me like they are just wanting to keep up with proper protocol.

Hi ,thank you for your reply , Yes i have to have contrast agent , I don't have kidney trouble , but i can't understand why they say , to see if your at risk of renal impairment ,so have this blood test , so i go on Friday to have blood taken so will know more next week, thanks a lot joy

mrsD 01-14-2013 03:50 PM

The dye used in the contrast MRI can damage kidneys...they won't give it if you have low functions already. Hence the blood work.

forevernana4 01-14-2013 04:36 PM

Hi there. I wish you well as you continue.

I did want to point out that local hospitals and clinics here have changed alot of rules in the last year or so. Maybe that's just a new rule due to potential known general complications?

I know with my MRI last week I had to read and sign gobs everywhere in regards to kidney and liver.

good luck

joy1 01-18-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forevernana4 (Post 947490)
Hi there. I wish you well as you continue.

I did want to point out that local hospitals and clinics here have changed alot of rules in the last year or so. Maybe that's just a new rule due to potential known general complications?

I know with my MRI last week I had to read and sign gobs everywhere in regards to kidney and liver.

good luck

Hi thank you for your reply , I went to Dr today and the nures said it's now changed that if your due a MRI scan and having contrast you need to have blood tests first to see if your kidneys can handle it and it's a precuation that's all , so don't worry ............She said every one has to have it now here in UK , don't know where you guys are from but I'm so glad I'm here thank you every one for getting back to my question , cheers joy