NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Going to See Dr. Donahue (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/182529-dr-donahue.html)

heybro 01-17-2013 11:55 AM

Going to See Dr. Donahue

Dr. Donahue of Massachusetts General Hospital returned my phone call today. He said he does about 3 surgeries a week.

They are going to request three tests for approval by my insurance: MRI, Catscan, and two botox injections in my scalene (neck muscles that hold the first rib).

After I get these approved by insurance, I can make my appointment. First available right now are in March. Once I see him, he'll decide if he actually wants those tests done same-day.

I would not have surgery then. He said he would also not recommend surgery on the first visit either.

My therapist says she got my rib to move down about half way that it needs to be. He told me on the phone that the first rib will rarely move down with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. More likely, he said she just loosened up the area around it and made it more squishy.

I am very excited to see someone who knows what they are dong.

He asked if I am ok to make a trip out to Boston and believe me, with all the changes I have made to my life, a plane ride to Boston is NOTHING!

Woodstock3 01-17-2013 12:08 PM

I also just spoke to Dr. Donahue and will be going thru the same protocol as you! Keep me posted - I will be traveling from Virginia so my apt will likely be made in April as I have a family trip scheduled to CO in March. Good luck with your journey :o
Quote:

Originally Posted by heybro (Post 948254)
Dr. Donahue of Massachusetts General Hospital returned my phone call today. He said he does about 3 surgeries a week.

They are going to request three tests for approval by my insurance: MRI, Catscan, and two botox injections in my scalene (neck muscles that hold the first rib).

After I get these approved by insurance, I can make my appointment. First available right now are in March. Once I see him, he'll decide if he actually wants those tests done same-day.

I would not have surgery then. He said he would also not recommend surgery on the first visit either.

My therapist says she got my rib to move down about half way that it needs to be. He told me on the phone that the first rib will rarely move down with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. More likely, he said she just loosened up the area around it and made it more squishy.

He asked if I am ok to make a trip out to Boston and believe me, with all the changes I have made to my life, a plane ride to Boston is NOTHING!

jkl626 01-17-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Yay! Sounds good!

Ashhan 09-24-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Hi,
Just wondering if you went through the surgery. What kind of TOS did you have ? neurogenic or venous
thanks

heybro 09-24-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashhan (Post 1017184)
Hi,
Just wondering if you went through the surgery. What kind of TOS did you have ? neurogenic or venous
thanks

i did have surgery for neurogenic tos. just click on the thread marked "4 weeks post op" just a few threads below this one.

peace.