NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Acoustic Neuroma (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/182993-acoustic-neuroma.html)

musiclover 01-26-2013 02:55 PM

Acoustic Neuroma

I recently went through balance and vestibular testing to be diagnosed with vestibular hypofunction, which accounts for much of the persistent vertigo, dizziness & eye issues. I have now found out they want to do an MRI with contrast to rule out an acoustic neuroma, which is a slow-growing tumor of the nerve that connects the ear to the brain. It's not cancerous and doesn't metastasize, but can grow and impact neurological functions. It is technically considered brain tumor.

Needless to say I'm quite concerned - that's putting it mildly :(. I am wondering if anyone on our tbi/pcs board has ever been diagnosed with one? They are quite rare, which is one thing working in my favor. I'm still waiting on approval from insurance to move forward with MRI, so I've got to settle down and just take it one step at a time.

Feeling overwhelmed and praying for peace. Thanks for listening.

MsRriO 01-26-2013 09:18 PM

Sending you good thoughts. This is all brand new information for me so I definitely have no advice, the only thing I thought though is : here they go, they are doing the typical "rule all else out" diagnostic practice. (Which understandably makes us all crazy)

Thinking of you and sending prayers for peace of mind.

Mark in Idaho 01-26-2013 10:27 PM

music,

Try to think of it this way. This MRI is not looking for an Acoustic Neuroma. It is looking to rule out an Acoustic Neuroma. Most of the diagnostic procedures related to mTBI are to rule things out. Health care these days is about ruling things out, not finding a cause. Differential diagnosis is about finding what is and what is not present.

To put it in perspective, many times, doctors make things worse when they do these tests because they find something totally unrelated to the symptoms and get sidetracked trying to treat something new that has never caused a problem. This is the inherent problem with defensive healthcare.

If we keep the doctors comments in context with this tendency to practice defensive healthcare, we can take some of the scare out of the situation. We want to find out what is wrong. the doctors want to make sure something serious is not wrong.

You should be fine. Remember that anxiety is not good for PCS.

My best to you.

cyclecrash 01-26-2013 11:14 PM

Lol this is exactly what happened to me! I went to the doctor with stomach pains, during the rule everything out they found a totally unrelated cancer, when I was being checked out by the oncologist before surgery she says.... do you know you have a heart murmur?! Finally I was like.....ok everyone stop looking! Never did find out what was wrong with my stomach....... ;)

One thing thats weird about having a condition that doesn't show up on any tests (I also have fibromyalgia, same problem) is that you almost want them to find something, so that it proves you're not crazy!

Of course it has to be something treatable and totally simple so that it all goes away :)

Don't worry you'll be fine! And don't search it on the internet!

CC

musiclover 01-27-2013 09:08 AM

Thanks Mark, Ms Rio & Cycle - I greatly appreciate your kind words and perspective. I'm trying to stay off the Internet, which is challenging for an information-seeking person.

The anxiety doesn't help at all. If anything, sometimes I feel the worst part of PCS is the anxiety that we have to deal with. I know it is different for everyone, but I am really struggling with it right now.

Thanks again for the support - wishing you all a peaceful day :)

MiaVita2012 01-27-2013 09:16 AM

Music~
I am sending positive thoughts your way!Hope it is like Mark stated.Have you started taking the klonopin?If so is it helping your anxiety?:grouphug:
Quote:

Originally Posted by musiclover (Post 951403)
Thanks Mark, Ms Rio & Cycle - I greatly appreciate your kind words and perspective. I'm trying to stay off the Internet, which is challenging for an information-seeking person.

The anxiety doesn't help at all. If anything, sometimes I feel the worst part of PCS is the anxiety that we have to deal with. I know it is different for everyone, but I am really struggling with it right now.

Thanks again for the support - wishing you all a peaceful day :)

musiclover 01-27-2013 09:29 AM

[QUOTE=MiaVita2012;951405]Music~
I am sending positive thoughts your way!Hope it is like Mark stated.Have you started taking the klonopin?If so is it helping your anxiety?:

Hi Mia - the klonopin is helping me to sleep a bit more soundly, and I'm only prescribed to take it at bedtime. I think it takes the edge off some during the day, but only slightly. What has your experience been?

MiaVita2012 01-27-2013 09:57 AM

Music~
I had anxiety before this accident so I was taking xanax and now my anxiety has went into panic without warning so I had got switched to valium and I am new to it but so far seems good....:hug:[QUOTE=musiclover;951409]
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiaVita2012 (Post 951405)
Music~
I am sending positive thoughts your way!Hope it is like Mark stated.Have you started taking the klonopin?If so is it helping your anxiety?:

Hi Mia - the klonopin is helping me to sleep a bit more soundly, and I'm only prescribed to take it at bedtime. I think it takes the edge off some during the day, but only slightly. What has your experience been?