NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Myasthenia Gravis and MS? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/183218-myasthenia-gravis-ms.html)

jacksonsmommy 01-30-2013 04:42 PM

Myasthenia Gravis and MS?

Does anyone have both of these conditions?

I have clinically definite RRMS confirmed by MRI, spinal tap (no bands though) and the motherlode of blood work (16 vials if memory serves correct).

I've had some other issues like lockjaw that MS doesn't explain. Neuro is now sending me for nerve conduction and EMG testing. He hasn't said the words Myasthenia gravis, but I think it explains a lot for me.

Just wonderful. One disease wasn't enough!

4-eyes 01-30-2013 05:24 PM

I'm sorry you are going through this. It sounds really tough.

Yes, having both diseases simultaneously can happen. It makes for a more challenging treatment strategy, but sometimes the same drugs can be used to treat both conditions.

"Lockjaw" doesn't sound very much like MG to me, unless I am not understanding what you mean. With MG, usually the opposite is the problem--the jaw is weak and can hang open. Locking of the jaw can be something as simple as TMJD, which I have as well. That. of course is more of a structural/joint problem, not a weak muscle issue.

In any case, I hope you find some answers soon, so you can begin to pursue treatment. Please feel free to share some of those other symptoms that aren't explained by MS as well.

keepingfaith 01-30-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonsmommy (Post 952602)
Does anyone have both of these conditions?

I have clinically definite RRMS confirmed by MRI, spinal tap (no bands though) and the motherlode of blood work (16 vials if memory serves correct).

I've had some other issues like lockjaw that MS doesn't explain. Neuro is now sending me for nerve conduction and EMG testing. He hasn't said the words Myasthenia gravis, but I think it explains a lot for me.

Just wonderful. One disease wasn't enough!

Hi! I would be also be interested to hear which of your symptoms are MS related and which ones you don't yet have an explanation for...

Hang in there! And good luck to you!

karen P 01-30-2013 11:27 PM

Keep an open dialog...and clear mind

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-eyes (Post 952614)
I'm sorry you are going through this. It sounds really tough.

Yes, having both diseases simultaneously can happen. It makes for a more challenging treatment strategy, but sometimes the same drugs can be used to treat both conditions.

"Lockjaw" doesn't sound very much like MG to me, unless I am not understanding what you mean. With MG, usually the opposite is the problem--the jaw is weak and can hang open. Locking of the jaw can be something as simple as TMJD, which I have as well. That. of course is more of a structural/joint problem, not a weak muscle issue.

In any case, I hope you find some answers soon, so you can begin to pursue treatment. Please feel free to share some of those other symptoms that aren't explained by MS as well.

absolutely correct about the lockjaw. Muscles aren't strong enough to tighten or cramp anymore.
16 vials of blood is very high!! amazing...the highest I have seen at once was 11...I hope there is a great doctor behind the order and can make sure treatment is very helpful to your life
Sincere thoughts and prayers!
Karen

Tracy9 01-31-2013 04:10 AM

My record is 24 vials. And that wasn't even the time I passed out and they had to call a code blue!

A few people have been talking about having both diagnoses on the Facebook groups lately.

anon6618 01-31-2013 10:54 AM

Hi there, well I have "possible MS" diagnosis now. Finally.
I have MG for 4 years now, RA for 3 years, but around the same time I got other weird symptoms. First it was like "yeah but you have all kinds of diseases, etc" however, 3.5 years ago 2 different docs said, have you been tested for MS?
No I wasn't, but it wasn't until this month they tested me. (I kept asking, why not a brain mri or something??)
I haven't had all tests yet, but they're sure there's MS like stuff to see on my brain MRI.

So, it's possible I have both, yes.

I also have a lock jaw (no bananas for me!) but that's not related, I got it because I had an operation on my jaw 10 years ago.

Tracy9 02-01-2013 12:13 AM

MS lesions are the same as the lesions that are commonly seen with Chronic Lyme Disease, FYI. Jaw problems are also extremely common with Chronic Lyme.