NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Do you call your neuro when you have a pseudoexaserbation? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/183220-call-neuro-pseudoexaserbation.html)

Debbie D 01-30-2013 05:40 PM

Do you call your neuro when you have a pseudoexaserbation?

Last week, during all the whirlwind of the wake and funeral for FIL, my body went full out MS. Drunk walking, painful spasms, occasional blurred vision (I hardly ever get this), tremors.
After a few days of rest I'm back to my old self. They can't do anything for you anyway, right? Do they want to know these things?

I was so embarrassed...my poor MIL did better than me...:(

jprinz99 01-31-2013 04:22 AM

No, I do not call for those - only for times when I believe I am entering a true flare. MD and I are in agrement. He states that with self care and taking it easy a pseudoex will calm down (sort of like my body telling me "Hey Jane, you are pushing me too far or the stress is too much")

Hope this helps.

Lynn 01-31-2013 07:02 AM

My understanding of a pseudo ex, is more-so something like a return of previous symptoms after exercise, or in extreme heat, or stress - that then subside when the body temp cools or the stress eases. When symptoms last for a period of more than 48-72 hours after this, or are new, then I would be concerned.

I wouldn't be calling my neuro to tell him, as long as things got back to normal pretty quickly. I just thank my lucky stars and breathe a sigh of relief when things go back to normal (whatever that is).

tkrik 01-31-2013 12:09 PM

Debbie - :hug::hug: You have been through a major stressful event. It stands to reason your body is reacting. If you remember, I had a flare from he!! after my dad passed away. The flare began a few weeks before he passed away but it lasted much longer than it should have. I know that was due to the stress. As Wiz said, rest and some pampering will help.

As for your question, no I don't call if I think I am in a psuedoexacerbation. If I recently had a virus or infection, I don't go in. If I am close to starting my period, I don't go in (which, btw, some of my symptoms increase right before my period). If I had a stressful event, I don't go in. However, if the symptoms become really bad, I will call them and see what they suggest.

If I experience any new symptoms or an increase in symptoms I don't experience all the time or increase in symptoms that I normally deal with that lasts longer than just a few days or a combination of these, I call whether or not any of the above is going on.

Kitty 01-31-2013 12:13 PM

I hardly ever call my Neuro. There's really nothing they can do and I won't take steroids. I guess if I ever had sx bad enough to prevent me from being independent I'd call but not before.