NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   The strangest thing (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/183495-strangest.html)

7zark7 02-04-2013 05:24 PM

The strangest thing

I have been suffering from poor health for a while, burning in hands and feet , mental fog , poor memory, tiredness, sleep disruption and out of the blue most recently depression :(

I was referred by my GP to a Neurologist who checked my reflexes etc and all were fine. He also booked me in for a MRI. The MRI showed some white matter lesions . and a cyst which although not ideal were not likely to be giving me the symptoms that I have been getting.

Then ... and this is the bit I could do with some help on , Thursday this week I started coming out in spots all over and a rash on chest and neck / face with purple blotches on my hands. My wife was amazed with the speed and we put it down to an allergic reaction. I popped a anti-histamine and went to bed, next day the itchiness and some redness was still there, so i took another anti-histamine. Then i noticed that all my above symptoms had pretty much vanished , i felt fine (better than fine) , my thinking was normal and i was just me again .... what a relief.

Question is --- what do i do now ! I am loathe to stop taking the anti-histamines (acrivastine) in case they are causing my symptoms to have gone away. So the question to this forum is , have any of you experienced anything like this before, I would like to gather as many opinions or thoughts before I see my neurologist again. I also slightly worried that he might think I am a bit of a crackpot (i am not !) but it all sounds a bit good to be true !

Anyway end of my long post ! , any thoughts , suggestions more than welcome

Thanks

7Zark7

mrsD 02-04-2013 07:25 PM

You should report this to the doctor...he may want to see it.

Some people get reactions to the dyes used in contrast MRIs...
A rash from these dyes, typically requires a blood panel for kidney function as well.

Did you have a dye injected when you had your MRI?

7zark7 02-04-2013 07:46 PM

Should have said the symptoms that I was being tested for improved dramatically (poor memory, burning in hands and feet etc) after taking the anti-histamine. Obv the rash went away but I was looking for ideas and advice on the neuro symptoms improving in response to anti-histamine and what that could indicate.

ConsiderThis 02-05-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7zark7 (Post 954150)
I have been suffering from poor health for a while, burning in hands and feet , mental fog , poor memory, tiredness, sleep disruption and out of the blue most recently depression :(

I was referred by my GP to a Neurologist who checked my reflexes etc and all were fine. He also booked me in for a MRI. The MRI showed some white matter lesions . and a cyst which although not ideal were not likely to be giving me the symptoms that I have been getting.

Then ... and this is the bit I could do with some help on , Thursday this week I started coming out in spots all over and a rash on chest and neck / face with purple blotches on my hands. My wife was amazed with the speed and we put it down to an allergic reaction. I popped a anti-histamine and went to bed, next day the itchiness and some redness was still there, so i took another anti-histamine. Then i noticed that all my above symptoms had pretty much vanished , i felt fine (better than fine) , my thinking was normal and i was just me again .... what a relief.

Question is --- what do i do now ! I am loathe to stop taking the anti-histamines (acrivastine) in case they are causing my symptoms to have gone away. So the question to this forum is , have any of you experienced anything like this before, I would like to gather as many opinions or thoughts before I see my neurologist again. I also slightly worried that he might think I am a bit of a crackpot (i am not !) but it all sounds a bit good to be true !

Anyway end of my long post ! , any thoughts , suggestions more than welcome

Thanks

7Zark7

When I lived in London many years ago, there was a lot of stress and at the time I didn't know about vitamin B12. My thighs would go purple with small blood vessels breaking... Now I know that can be associated with low vitamin B12.

After my low vitamin B12 was discovered I tried to correct it by taking B complex vitamins several times an hour with LOTS of liquid. A month later there was NO change in my B12 level. But, by then it was fall and low and behold my allergies were gone. I live where there is a lot of Chamisa, a wild, laden with yellow flowers, sage. In all years previous it had caused me HUGE discomfort, but after using all the B Complex, I could walk up to a bush and stick my nose into the flowers, smell them... and not one single sneeze. So, I don't use antihistamines anymore. I use B Complex in advance of and during pollen seasons.

Methylcobalmin, the active B12 in the form our bodies' use is pretty cheap and not harmful. You might try that for a month and see if it helps with the burning...

Karen