NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Cymbalta for CRPS (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/183809-cymbalta-crps.html)

CRPStweet 02-11-2013 03:01 AM

Cymbalta for CRPS

Hello friends,
My PM doc has just started me on a new add on nerve pain med - Cymbalta. Tonight I took first one. Any comments on your experiences with this drug are appreciated.
I have CRPS symptoms systemic. I already take 3,300 mg gabapentin, LDN, & dextromethorphan for nerve pain. Thx!

cja1 02-11-2013 05:49 AM

My fiancee hasn't tried Cymbalta, but I'm thinking about having her try LDN. Not to hijack your thread, but what are your experiences with LDN?

Angelina55 02-11-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sallysue (Post 956219)
Hello friends,
My PM doc has just started me on a new add on nerve pain med - Cymbalta. Tonight I took first one. Any comments on your experiences with this drug are appreciated.
I have CRPS symptoms systemic. I already take 3,300 mg gabapentin, LDN, & dextromethorphan for nerve pain. Thx!

I have tried cymbalta for a different injury. I hurt my right hip and they still don't know what is wrong with it. I didn't like the side effects of it, I can't remember if it worked or not, but it was before I got CRPS. I hope it works for you. Keep us posted!
Angelina

Angelina55 02-11-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cja1 (Post 956224)
My fiancee hasn't tried Cymbalta, but I'm thinking about having her try LDN. Not to hijack your thread, but what are your experiences with LDN?

I don't know what LDN is sorry.:o
Angelina

loretta 02-11-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sallysue (Post 956219)
Hello friends,

I sallysue, I took cymbalta for several years along with 3200 mg of neurotin.
I did well on it along with other meds. It does take time to start effect. I felt it helped me. Take care, loretta

LIT LOVE 02-11-2013 10:19 PM

I had a good response to it, but after a few months I developed severe stomach pain. I attempted to try it again at a later date, and my stomach revolted again.

CRPStweet 02-12-2013 02:56 AM

Thx all - felt nausea couple times during night and when awoke after first dose of Cymbalta. Doc told me to try one half dose daily now (so 10mg/day). Will try again tonight. Felt kind of mildly sick to stomach all day.

cja1 - I still take LDN but cannot tell if it helps at all.

I am in a major pain flare. My nerve pain has been so bad lately it is getting really scarey. If it were not for gabapentin I could not survive this pain; it is unbearable for a human being to survive that kind of systemic nerve pain. I do not know that I can even sleep tonight.

fbodgrl 02-12-2013 09:34 AM

I was taking Cymbalta prior to my RSD diagnosis. I've been on and off it for a few years. I had a nerve entrapment and surgery that led to the RSD. I'm still taking it as of now. I think it helps. It takes a little bit to get in your system and start working.

I've never had any side effects with it, but horrible withdrawal to get of it.

LIT LOVE 02-12-2013 11:35 AM

The nausea will get better, but just make sure to follow the directions if you're supposed to take with food--it's been to many years for me to remember the directions. The stomach pain that was an issue for me, was very severe, and I probably should have gone to the ER severe...

catra121 02-13-2013 10:46 AM

One of my doctors put me on this and started me on a 25mg dose and told me that we were going to gradually increase the dose. Like clockwork I got VIOLENTLY ill 30-45minutes after taking the Cymbalta. I tried for 3 days (with food, without food, etc) and then called the doc and was told to stop taking it. When I stay violently ill I mean worse than anything I have ever experienced with projectile vomiting and it coming out both ends at the same time...worst experience of my life and it was when I couldn't stand or walk at all and was home alone the first time it happened. I was so scared when it happened the first time.

I later found out that I had serotonin syndrome when I tried taking the Cymbalta...which might account for the terrible reaction to it. Never tried it again though as that was about the time I went off all meds (after the serotonin syndrome diagnosis).