NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Heart Pounding Wont Stop..HELP! (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/184032-heart-pounding-wont-stop-help.html)

Consider 02-15-2013 10:04 AM

Heart Pounding Wont Stop..HELP!

My chest is hurting a little and my heart won't stop pounding. My blood test came back with low potassium which I found out can make heart pounding sensations, it won't stop and I can't seem to relax today, which is what I really want to do. :( Help!

MiaVita2012 02-15-2013 10:16 AM

Turn on some music that stimulates you take deep breathes start coloring or watching out the window and focus on something else...the more you focus on this the worst the anxiety will get....And be sitting on something soft incase you get dizzy and fall back...I know your in middle of switching meds and your anxiety is high...Try not to read into this thought and reverse it and see if it helps....If you have a banana eat it while relaxing....Hope this helps you my friend:hug:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Consider (Post 957369)
My chest is hurting a little and my heart won't stop pounding. My blood test came back with low potassium which I found out can make heart pounding sensations, it won't stop and I can't seem to relax today, which is what I really want to do. :( Help!

Concussion 02-15-2013 10:33 AM

Some of what you describe can be considered as part of the side effects panel of Cymbalta - as you have taken and had problems with it in the past, it would be a consideration.

- Fast, rapid heart rate
- anxiety
- panic attack

Having low potassium is something of concern, dependent on the value, slightly low is usually something the MD will recommend supplementing to cover; higher value deficits will need more involved treatments, and your PCP would have recommended that if necessary.

How this would couple with your current symptoms would best be dealt with by getting in touch with your PCP, to see how they would best deal with the new symptoms, especially since they resumed the Cymbalta - which you had problems with in the past.

And, MiaVita makes a good recommendation for the interim.

Brain patch 02-15-2013 10:56 AM

Panic attack

So sorry you are going through this. Take deep slow breaths. Close your eyes and clear your mind. Concentrate on nothing, just the nothingness. Do you have any ambian? This has helped me when I have that bad heart beat thing. Hang in there. This will pass.
:hug:

andromeda 02-15-2013 11:54 AM

Is your breathing normal? Are you anxious? Could be a panic attack but it would be best to speak to your doctor about it. S/he will be able to give you an answer fairly instantly, I would think.

m00sekat33r 02-15-2013 02:30 PM

I did experience slight heart poundings during the beginning of my pcs. I would be sleeping then all of a sudden I would wake up out of nowhere with my heart pounding really fast and breathing heavily. I would just to try calm myself down and eventually just go back to sleep. I was taking xanex at the time but only when needed. I tried not to take medications, instead I did Tai Chi Qigong Shabshi to focus on my breathing, calming my mind, and my panic attacks. If you look on youtube you can find some videos on how to do the 18moves, you can also put on relaxing music along with doing these exercises as well. :)