NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   What to do! (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/184454-what-to-do.html)

Runner34 02-23-2013 08:43 AM

What to do!

I am almost 5 weeks post op. I went back to work light duty after having C5-C6 single fusion. All was grand until about two days ago. That faint pain it's back. It started in my left shoulder blade. Always thought it was a sore muscle until it progressed. I am sure I have over done it at work and everything. I can't really sit still. I am a single mother and must provide. On the other hand I want this to work.
My doctor isn't happy about giving medicine out or anything. Why else would I be awake.. Little frustrated, unsure and just want to be normal again.

Cocoa14 02-23-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner34 (Post 959817)
I am almost 5 weeks post op. I went back to work light duty after having C5-C6 single fusion. All was grand until about two days ago. That faint pain it's back. It started in my left shoulder blade. Always thought it was a sore muscle until it progressed. I am sure I have over done it at work and everything. I can't really sit still. I am a single mother and must provide. On the other hand I want this to work.
My doctor isn't happy about giving medicine out or anything. Why else would I be awake.. Little frustrated, unsure and just want to be normal again.

Please don't rush things. Be extra careful about lifting! I am 14 weeks post op and have not returned to work. My recovery has been extremely painful. Did you use cadaver bone or artifical disc? My dr used a device called ROI-C. I don't know if that is why I'm having a hard time or not. This is my second surgery, had cadaver bone last time, returned to work after 3 weeks and had no problems. I was lucky. You probably are not fused yet so make sure you follow all your drs instructions. I would at least call him at tell him about your new pain. Please keep me posted. I just started using this site yesterday and it has been very comforting talking with ppl who understand. I'll keep you in my prayers!

Leesa 02-23-2013 03:37 PM

Good grief --- 5 weeks post op and you're back to work? I know you're a single mother, and have to work,, but holy cow! I suppose your doc said it was ok, right?

That just seems so SOON to go back to work after fusion! :eek: And i don't care if your doc "doesn't like" to give meds for pain, he's going to HAVE to! These darn idiots -- if THEY had the pain that WE do, they'd certainly grab the bottles and drug themselves!!! :mad: It makes me so mad.

You're not even going to BEGIN to fuse until around 6 months to a year, so this is a crucial time for things to move around and get screwed up. You have to be very careful. Did he give you any limitations on lifting? You shouldn't lift anything probably more than 5-10 lbs. I would NOT lift anything heavier than that. Do you have a SOFT COLLAR? You can get one at a pharmacy or a health supply store. I'd wear one while I was at work. It will just help stabilize things. But I WOULD wear it. Then make SURE you take it OFF at home because wearing it too long will weaken the neck muscles.

I wish you the very best. Please be careful and take care. God bless. Hugs, Lee ;)

ginnie 02-23-2013 05:13 PM

Hi Runner

Even a single level fusion takes more than 5 weeks to heal. Your doctor should be providing some pain relief. It is too soon in my opinion to be back to work. It was longer than that before I got into PT. Please take it easy and call your doctor OK? Pain medications are normal after a proceedure like this. I will be praying for you. ginnie:hug: