NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Insomnia (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/184491-insomnia.html)

Brain patch 02-24-2013 09:52 AM

Insomnia

Hey guys,
Do you all have problems with insomnia? Do you sleep only a few hours at a time and have to nap throughout the day? Do you have some times where you just turn into an insomniac? Do you wake up in an alarmed state? Kind of scared and startled like if your new born baby woke you up by making a strange choking sound. That kind of feeling.

I notice the total insomniac comes on when real bad storms come through. It has been a blizzard all night here in wonderful Utah. I have not slept at all. I am loosing it friends. I need my sleep or I get straight jacket-ish. :eek: I was wondering if this was from chronic pain or if you traumatic brain injury friends suffer this also? I know it has to do with the barometric pressure.

Hope everyone is doing well today. I am going to go try to sleep. I managed to score some earplugs from the people who did my MRI and you guys were right. I love them. :)
Start some new conversations so when I get up I can have something to do will you?
Love to you all,
Brain

Mokey 02-24-2013 10:14 AM

Didn't sleep last night! And it makes the day tough, doesn't it!? Little strategies, including just going withthe flow and trying not to stres when up at night, have helped me imrpove my sleep. Some people with tbi sleep too much! And others get insomnia, The brain controls sleep, so it makes sense that that can become dysfunctional!

Hope you have a good (not too long....45 minutes max!!!) nap!

Concussion 02-24-2013 10:31 AM

I have had Insomnia since the injury in June 2010, worsening over time.

I might sleep 3 - 4 hours max, most times 2.5 to 3.

I don't have to nap during the day, I just will sorta 'pass out' for a bit; my wife says she will see me slouch, and see that I am not falling out of the computer chair, and leave me be - I usually wake in about 5 to 10 minutes.

I will sometimes just give up after a few of these episodes and put my feet up in the recliner and let myself go; I will then maybe go for 15 to 20 minutes, deep sleep, with occasional snoring per the wife (we even have attached my pulse oximeter to watch my O2 - never below 90 - 92%) - and those times I will wake with a scare-type reaction, but never recall why.

When I went for my SSDI Psych IME , he asked "so what total daily sleep do you get?" - I estimated maybe 5 hours including those nods; and he shook his head and made notes without further comments.

My last I.M.E. with the Neurosurgeon for the opposition was after the Psych IME, and he told me "you look bad" - Im sure that won't make it into his report. :D

Anyway......yes, Insomnia is something I get.

When I lived in Utah (Duchesne), I loved getting out in the snow, but would not even think about it now. I can imagine your cabin fever. Sorry guy.

Best Wishes.

Consider 02-24-2013 11:57 AM

The first few days of my concussion were tough with insomnia. I had it extremely bad, like no sleep to one hour of sleep, which really didn't help with the anxiety at the time. A month later, i began sleep 3-4 hours. My sleep was my primary concern for brain healing, so I saw a psych who prescribed me Zyprexa for sleep and mood, which did help my mood and sleep, but not my anxiety, nausea or appetite! I later then dumped Zyprexa, and began getting 6 hours of sleep. I later on ended up depressed, without my computer, without movies, and ended up sitting in a room watching snow. A month after that, I began seeing my friends, and my symptoms improved. They all took care of me, made sure I ate, took my vitamin regimen, and took me to the doctors when needed. My sleep ended up being and is now 7 hours. Some days I see REAL improvement like 8 hours! Insomnia gets better, so don't give up hope!

mouse1 02-24-2013 12:16 PM

I was injured in November and had been getting 3-4 hrs sleep. The problem wasn't getting to sleep, it was waking up at 2am, even with zorclone. I tried getting up and making a milky drink, but still remained awake. I have been feeling better this week and have done more activities, I think this has helped because I have got 6 hrs sleep the past two nights. Getting into a routine at night, going to bed and waking at the same time is alsoimportant.

MsRriO 02-24-2013 03:31 PM

I did have insomnia and startled waking, sometimes gasping for breath.

Two weeks ago I was prescribed Elavil 10 mg to help apparently with sleep and pain.

So far it helps with sleep but not pain. Doc said to try 20 mg and I only tried one night of the double dose so far, increased dry mouth side effect and insane dreams so I doubt I'll stay on 20mg.

Sorry you're having such a rough time sleeping. It is truly debilitating. :hug:

Mark in Idaho 02-24-2013 03:45 PM

MsRriO,

If you wake up gasping for breath, that is a good sign you have Sleep Apnea. Upper neck injuries can cause Central Sleep Apnea. I have it and have to be very careful about neck position when I sleep. Mention this to your doctor. Sleep Apnea can seriously delay your recovery, if not even make your symptoms worse. It can also make driving extremely dangerous. It can cause an almost narcoleptic like dozing during the day. A visual over-stimulation (flashing lights or bright oncoming lights) can cause one to quickly nod off. I have had times where I had to pull to the side of the road and nod off for 10 to 20 minutes before being able to drive on safely.

ginnie 02-24-2013 06:19 PM

Hi Brain patch

Yes, I have sleep disorders, from multipal medical issues. I try hard not to freak over it. I get up and read my nook for an hour or so and usually can go back to sleep. If I get all upset about it, forget the sleep, then I am a basket case. Naps I try to avoid, and I try to wear myself out doing something during the day. Hope you can find something that works for you. ginnie

mouse1 02-25-2013 10:46 PM

Fed up tonight of PCS, had a few signs of improvement sleeping 5-6 hours last weekend, then I got 6 hours Fri and Sat, and then an unbelievable 8 hrs last night. Went to bed at 11, but woke at 145am and am completely awake. Maybe slept too long last night. At least I am seeing a reflexologist today so maybe that will help, and I suppose it is better than 2,3 or 4 hrs every night.

MiaVita2012 02-26-2013 07:58 AM

The first 6-9months after accident all I did was sleep, then after the concussion came fully out. I had Insomnia for 5months with 3-6hours of sleep and now I have been on a sleep schedule going on 4months that I get 8-10hours of sleep. Now I take 500mg of magnesium and 100mg melatonin and my prescribed benzo.

If I do not stay on my sleep schedule I will pay for it 24-48hours after until I get back on my schedule. I have noticed that symptoms have went way down because of the quiet rest and the no stress(at least try lol):D