NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   emg ncv impressions (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/184549-emg-ncv-impressions.html)

mspennyloafer 02-25-2013 01:24 PM

emg ncv impressions

have you guys been told your normal but then read the report and noticed it wasnt totally normal?

here's what my report says

"this is an unremarkable electrodiagnostic study. extensive needle examination of the right upper extremity was normal. f waves of both extremities were normal. sensory latencies bilaterally were normal. some of her motor amplitudes were reduced but not in a consistent pattern. R median and R ulnar motor amplitude reduced, but left-sided results were unremarkable."

im numb in both hands so i find this odd. my left rib is more elevated.

i wonder what the motor amplitude stuff means :(

this study is now a year and a half old, i wonder if i should get another one

Pattymary88 02-25-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mspennyloafer (Post 960438)
have you guys been told your normal but then read the report and noticed it wasnt totally normal?

here's what my report says

"this is an unremarkable electrodiagnostic study. extensive needle examination of the right upper extremity was normal. f waves of both extremities were normal. sensory latencies bilaterally were normal. some of her motor amplitudes were reduced but not in a consistent pattern. R median and R ulnar motor amplitude reduced, but left-sided results were unremarkable."

im numb in both hands so i find this odd. my left rib is more elevated.

i wonder what the motor amplitude stuff means :(

this study is now a year and a half old, i wonder if i should get another one

I can't say I know what any of that means. I will tell you I have had many emgs for my nerve surgeries and they all come back basically normal. I wind up having surgery anyway. After they tell me it was very pinched....a lot worse than they thought. So I wonder how accurate they really are.

mspennyloafer 02-26-2013 01:49 PM

yup i actually asked the dr how many times someone had tested positive i guess..no response at all and he said once lol

i am wondering if i have a double crush. my elbows have fluid in them which strikes me as odd

LiveLoveandTrust 02-26-2013 04:46 PM

EMGs/NC's only look for damaged muscle or nerves. If not enough damage has occurred, it comes back "normal." There is a wide range of normal so even slight variances are considered "normal.
My first NC showed I had slowing of the ulnar nerve. I was dx with TOS at that point (2008) but was told that it was not the cause of the damage and it was probably from an ulna/radius break I had when I was 4. I had another NC in 2012 and was told I did not have TOS and it was completely normal and they didn't see any slowing on the ulnar nerve at all. Then, I was rediagnosed with TOS after a doppler ultrasound and was told the NC didn't matter at all! lol.