NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Peripheral neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/184703-peripheral-neuropathy.html)

Angela51 02-28-2013 05:29 PM

Peripheral neuropathy

I have been recently diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. I have a lot of burning pain in my fingers and feet. I have had some numbness in both places. My really weird symptom is that sometimes when I am walking, I feel as if I am slipping and sliding and I nearly fall. This has been going on for about eight months. I have tried different tennis shoes and it makes no difference. I know it's just a sensation, but it feels so real. I am scheduled for a nerve conduction test tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced this?

keepingfaith 02-28-2013 05:52 PM

Welcome!

Hi Angela, welcome to NT. There is neuropathy forum here and you will find lots of advice and support. I too suffer from peripheral neuropathy and I also feel like I am falling when I stand up. Not when I walk, just when I am standing still. I constantly have that sensation that I am loosing my balance. I haven't fallen yet either so I do think it's just the way it makes us feel. Do you know what is causing your PN?

Thomas C 02-28-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angela51 (Post 961502)
I have been recently diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. I have a lot of burning pain in my fingers and feet. I have had some numbness in both places. My really weird symptom is that sometimes when I am walking, I feel as if I am slipping and sliding and I nearly fall. This has been going on for about eight months. I have tried different tennis shoes and it makes no difference. I know it's just a sensation, but it feels so real. I am scheduled for a nerve conduction test tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hello Angela,
I too have been recently diagnosed. I have the tingling and burning in the hands and feet. I don't really have the slipping you describe but if I close my eyes, I lose my balance. It has something to do with somata sensory function. (I won't pretend to say I understand it.) Maybe this is what you have. The nerve conduction test will tell you. Best wishes.

Kitt 02-28-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angela51 (Post 961502)

Let us know how the tests come out. DNA blood testing for CMT might be helpful - expensive but helpful. There are many types of it. Hope to see you at the PN forum. Any family history of any of the symptoms you are experiencing? Thank you.

mrsD 02-28-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas C (Post 961523)
Hello Angela,
I too have been recently diagnosed. I have the tingling and burning in the hands and feet. I don't really have the slipping you describe but if I close my eyes, I lose my balance. It has something to do with somata sensory function. (I won't pretend to say I understand it.) Maybe this is what you have. The nerve conduction test will tell you. Best wishes.

Welcome to NeuroTalk:

Losing balance when your eyes are closed is called Romberg's sign...and comes when B12 is low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romberg%27s_test

Kitt 02-28-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 961527)
Welcome to NeuroTalk:

Losing balance when your eyes are closed is called Romberg's sign...and comes when B12 is low.

It also happens with CMT. Proprioception.

Angela51 02-28-2013 07:07 PM

Peripheral neuropathy

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepingfaith (Post 961520)
Hi Angela, welcome to NT. There is neuropathy forum here and you will find lots of advice and support. I too suffer from peripheral neuropathy and I also feel like I am falling when I stand up. Not when I walk, just when I am standing still. I constantly have that sensation that I am loosing my balance. I haven't fallen yet either so I do think it's just the way it makes us feel. Do you know what is causing your PN?

Thanks for your reply. I don't know just yet what is causing my PN. I don't have diabetes. I looked on the test orders for tomorrow and it looks like he is looking at Hereditary and idiopathic PN. As soon as I hear more, I will post.

Angela51 02-28-2013 07:12 PM

Peripheral neuropathy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas C (Post 961523)
Hello Angela,

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I too lose my balance when I close my eyes. I also lose my balance when I look down or bend over just the slightest. We will see what the test shows tomorrow. Take care.

Angela51 02-28-2013 07:20 PM

Peripheral neuropathy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 961525)
Let us know how the tests come out. DNA blood testing for CMT might be helpful - expensive but helpful. There are many types of it. Hope to see you at the PN forum. Any family history of any of the symptoms you are experiencing? Thank you.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. No family history of any of the symptoms that I know of. I looked on the orders for the test tomorrow and they said that he is looking for Hereditary and idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. I don't have diabetes. I will post the results. Thanks.

Angela51 02-28-2013 07:27 PM

Peripheral neuropathy

[QUOTE=mrsD;961527]Welcome to NeuroTalk:

I take B12 shots regularly. Could it be something else?