NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   Gene Testing (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/184760-gene-testing.html)

waterwillow 03-01-2013 01:37 PM

Gene Testing

I have been waiting and waiting, you all know how that goes on a final diagnosis as my conditions effect so many more aspects of my life.

I have decided to send a saliva sample to 23andme to see if anything obvious shows. No idea how certain these results will be though.

What does the forum think of this. Better not to know what may come up in the future or good to prepare.

Has any consultant ever listened to independent findings of this nature.

My own opinion is that we as sufferers, no matter what the condition, owe it to ourselves to be proactive in finding any help from whatever source to give us any edge at all.

QJayde5 03-02-2013 06:34 PM

The only gene testing I had was for HLA and BRCA mutation. Two different doctors tested me. The tests were through the hospital, not 23andme. They were looking for celiac and breast cancer genes.

I think the testing was helpful for me. I have GI issues and a family history of breast cancer. I had HLA DQ2, DQ8, DR4, and DR7. The BRCA was normal.

waterwillow 03-03-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QJayde5 (Post 962286)
The only gene testing I had was for HLA and BRCA mutation. Two different doctors tested me. The tests were through the hospital, not 23andme. They were looking for celiac and breast cancer genes.

I think the testing was helpful for me. I have GI issues and a family history of breast cancer. I had HLA DQ2, DQ8, DR4, and DR7. The BRCA was normal.

I do think that gene testing may be in its infancy but as with xrays and scans it will be developed into an essential diagnostic indicator tool. It is extremely hard to get the National health Service to do any gene testing. I will post the results or should I say how satisfied I am with the 23andme service.

I go tomorrow to see a gastroentorologist consultant as I am now having desperate constipation/diarrhea. This on top of the neurology difs is really getting to me.

Really glad your results came back negative and I wish you well for the future.

QJayde5 03-03-2013 11:07 AM

Thank you. Good luck to you also.

Like I said, the breast cancer gene mutation test was negative. Even though I have a family history of breast cancer, I'm glad the gene test was negative. However, the HLA gene test was positive for DQ2, DQ8, DR4, and DR7. The positive HLA would make me a risk for celiac disease and some other things.

pabb 03-07-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QJayde5 (Post 962429)
Thank you. Good luck to you also.

Like I said, the breast cancer gene mutation test was negative. Even though I have a family history of breast cancer, I'm glad the gene test was negative. However, the HLA gene test was positive for DQ2, DQ8, DR4, and DR7. The positive HLA would make me a risk for celiac disease and some other things.

have you checked out celiac disease, concerning whatever your problems are?