NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   c5\6\7anterior fusion (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/184966-c5-6-7anterior-fusion.html)

jinga 03-05-2013 09:56 PM

c5\6\7anterior fusion

met with doc and discussed this procedure. I have been reading a lot of post about this same fusion and I am honestly more scared to under go this. I though I was just needing c6\7 but was told c5-7.

Does anyone know how much range looking up\down l\r I will lose. I had a slight bulge in c5\6 from a minor injury in 2006 then i was in a nast car accident las year and I have several discs in my neck that are messed up. the c5-7 are the worst. I am concerned about doing this and then down the road having to undergo surgery again.

Has anyone had the artificial disc replacement? i forgot to ask the doc about that today. i get overwhelmed with all of the info thrown at me since my head injury, same car accident.

I dont want to be in pain but I dont want to dwindle to a total sedentary only restriction for the rest of my life. I need advice, not feeling to good right now

mg neck prob 03-06-2013 12:26 PM

I had c4 thru c7 --i have full range of motion well--almost example backing up vechile i have to turn by using shoulders --so i bought a jeep with back up camera not that i had to --more i wanted it-- just in case. I will be honest prior to surgery I was in so much pain morphine wouldnt touch it ---my recovery was not bad the pain was tolerable. I honestly have no regrets. I work 10-12 hr days --I do stuff around my house all the time --paint, remodel bathroom did all the tile work . I do get flares up sometimes in shoulder when i do to much but-- not so bad anymore. I wouldnt say 100% pain free --somedays i am-- but i would say 90% this surgery gave me my life back and reduced the pain greatly. I inquired about artifical disc --from what i understand or been told usually only are done on a single fusion and yours would be considered a two level--unless things changed its been since 2010 since my surgery. Don't fear it but always get 2 or 3 consults. Being single and having just built a new home I was afriad of losing everything I worked 25 yrs to attain didint want to go on disablity. I read the horror stories too and was nervous ---but I came to realize there are alot of success stories but most of those people once there better dont post anymore---- there out living there lives. There is no guarntee 100% for any surgery but acdf has pretty high success rates. Feel free to ask if you have more questions --be happy to help in any way I can.

ginnie 03-06-2013 01:57 PM

Hi Jinga

[I agree with Mg neck. I have range of motion all except backing up the car. Have to undo seat belt and turn my whole body around. I am fused C3-7. None of it is fun, but if you have no quality of life in current cirsumstances, maybe the surgery is a good idea. Ask your doctor about the condition of the verterbre above and below the surgical site. Can be a domino effect, where the neck isn't sturdy enough for the brackets and screws. Don't submit unless you get a direct non evasive answer. I don't regret doing my surgery, and I came here scared like you are. There can be good outcomes. ginnie:hug: