NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Surgery here I come.....little scared (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/185109-surgery-little-scared.html)

Pattymary88 03-08-2013 12:55 PM

Surgery here I come.....little scared

My MRI is negative so the consensus is I have TOS. Hopefully will have the surgery on the 18th. He is going to remove two scalenes and two ribs. He is also going to release the pec minor. Very scary surgery but he feesl I will have good results as we are catching it early but he believes the outlet is very tight because it is getting worse very quickly and I am so tender in both neck and chest. He is an awesome doc so far really takes his time to explain things. He has been doing this surgery a long time. I am very optimistic it will work as all of my many nerve surgeries have given me relief. Hope it works :)

nospam 03-08-2013 04:39 PM

Will the surgeries be spaced out or both sides done the same day?

Pattymary88 03-08-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nospam (Post 964054)
Will the surgeries be spaced out or both sides done the same day?

That is one side....the right side. I have an extra rib. Hopefully I will never need the left side done even though I also have the extra rib there as well.

MagicMom 03-09-2013 09:34 AM

I was scared before I had the surgery...I hate needles and I hate strong pain medicines. But really, the surgery was no big deal, so don't be scared. I don't know why my doctors keep saying it was drastic surgery. I even had a small pneumothorax and major swelling. But, I was pretty much free of the major surgery pain and back to full-time work time in 2 weeks. (Although I think that may be part of the reason I still have a lot of problems...my body wasn't able to rest and heal.) I'm glad I did it and wished I had found the doctor and had it done sooner. It was so worth it to get rid of part of the pain. Unfortunatey, it just wasn't enough to to completely solve the problem, because I still have scapula, deltoid and other related pain and problems and feel I am worse, as far as inflamation and scar tissue. I am just now starting massage and stretching therapy again, but wish that the doctor would have recommended this sooner after my surgery, instead of just the strengthing PT, heat and ice.

Pattymary88 03-11-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicMom (Post 964233)
I was scared before I had the surgery...I hate needles and I hate strong pain medicines. But really, the surgery was no big deal, so don't be scared. I don't know why my doctors keep saying it was drastic surgery. I even had a small pneumothorax and major swelling. But, I was pretty much free of the major surgery pain and back to full-time work time in 2 weeks. (Although I think that may be part of the reason I still have a lot of problems...my body wasn't able to rest and heal.) I'm glad I did it and wished I had found the doctor and had it done sooner. It was so worth it to get rid of part of the pain. Unfortunatey, it just wasn't enough to to completely solve the problem, because I still have scapula, deltoid and other related pain and problems and feel I am worse, as far as inflamation and scar tissue. I am just now starting massage and stretching therapy again, but wish that the doctor would have recommended this sooner after my surgery, instead of just the strengthing PT, heat and ice.

I am so sorry to hear that :( That is my other fear that I won't get relief. At this point I have a constant neck ache and it is getting harder and harder to do things by the day! My PT is going to call my doc to make sure I get everything I need as far as PT. I know it needs to be done just don't like the idea of someone in my neck with a scalpel...LOL!